Oak mantles

concept L

New User
Todd
2 Red oak mantle blanks for sale ( 1 sold) 6" x 10" x 7 feet, milled in Durham 10/24/23.

$190 each
20231024_124458.jpg

concept L

New User
Todd
They were milled yesterday. So moisture is high. They are exposed to Southern sunlight and are starting to dry immediately. I think they probably need a couple months of daily sunlight before they've gotten to a moisture level low enough to install

blackhawk

Brad
Corporate Member
They were milled yesterday. So moisture is high. They are exposed to Southern sunlight and are starting to dry immediately. I think they probably need a couple months of daily sunlight before they've gotten to a moisture level low enough to install
You need to get them out of the sun ASAP. Oak needs to dry slowly to prevent major cracking. They need to be in a shady area with a cover to keep the rain and direct sunlight off of them.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
No it will take a lot longer than that!! You're looking at 3-4 years for acclimation, and yes, you need to get them out of the sun immediately. When they go inside a house "stuff" is going to happen for another year or two at least. White oak is notorious for moving and checking.

As they dry, odds are very high they are going to check and crack, sealing the ends will help with that.

I'd consider building a small solar kiln. :)

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors