Status
Not open for further replies.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
How does this work?
Very well, thank you!

Actually, it's real easy. It all looks scary and confusing the first time around, but it's easier than cutting a board too short. You simply tell Jeff what you want, e.g. 50 board feet of Quartersawn Red Oak (real experts write: Hey Jeff, how about some of that 'purdy QSRO. About 50 or so bf would do it. I'll bring the chicken).

Time goes by while Jeff saws it up, loads up his trailer, throws out his back, drags more boards out of his shed, rebuilds the shed after it collapses, finishes loading up the trailer and takes it to Scott's kiln to be dried. Usually, pictures are posted so we can all drool over what's happening.

Once dry, a pickup date is set. This is a complicated process where half the people say they can make Jan 17 and the other half says Jan 24. The bickering goes back and forth for about 50 posts until Scott says he needs the room in his kiln so it's the 17th.

For the lumber runs I've been to, the pickup was on a Saturday at the Harbor Freight parking lot. That's in Raleigh on Capital Blvd. Jeff shows up around 11, and starts unstacking some of the boards. You wander by and pick out the boards you like. Some prefer wide boards, some narrow, some want wild figure, others want uniformity. First come first served. Once you have something close to your allocated amount, Jeff will tally things using his fuzzy math, you pay him and don't know whether to gloat or feel bad because you think you're ripping him off, so much wood for so little money.

Once that's loaded up, you hang out and talk shop with the rest of the gang. Then go back and see what else Jeff or one of the other sawyers happened to bring and buy more wood. Then another board or two. Resistance is futile. Top it off with a quick trip to HF/ Klingspor/ Woodcraft and you've had a great day.

The latest pickup was at Scott's place, which I missed unfortunately, but I imagine it went about the same.

As for price - the last run of QSRO was $2.50/ bft. Flatsawn a little cheaper. The QS sycamore was a little more, QS beech was about the same. And no coupons needed! Yes, those prices are hard to beat.

Don Sorensen

New User
Butch
Matt-
These "Lumber Runs" are a great way to get some real pretty wood at real good prices. I don't know what jeff charges for the oak...and it'll generally be 4/4 or bigger (correct me if I'm wrong)....you place an order and meet everybody at the Harbor Freight Store on Capital Blvd. to pick up your lumber - have a truck, or a friend with a truck, or a station wagon - depending on what you ordered. Last time, I got 25 ft of 5/4 fresh cut black walnut...it was two boards, I had to have help loading it into my truck and had to cut it smaller to get it off my truck at home, where I had no help. Now it just needs to dry.

Jeff is talking kiln dried here, so it'll be ready to use! Wish I could get in on this one. But I've got plenty of wood waiting at home, and no money.

heck, you can even show up at the drop off day and meet some of the people and generally just hang about. That's what I tried to do the first time - just show up. But I have a beautiful piece of cypress I'm trying to figure out what to make of from that first trip, so you never know what could happen.

I recommend at least just going to meet people. And have a few laughs.

drmjh

New User
Matt
Don, Many thanks for your reply. I get the idea and like it. I'm currently temporarily living in Tx. waiting for my house to be built in Hendersonville. With any luck, I'll be in this Jan. I had to sell all my WW electrical tools when I sold up and left Ireland, so I'll have to get used to a new order of things. Looking forward to this group in particular- I've got a lot to learn! Matt.

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
It sounds like it would be alot of fun. I'm in. Now I just have to try and forecast what I'll be able to afford. I certainly don't want to make a name for myself by asking for a million board feet and showing up with 5 bucks.

Plus I have a project in mind for my kitchen and red oak would be the wood of choice for it.

Matt

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Very well, thank you!

Actually, it's real easy. It all looks scary and confusing the first time around, but it's easier than cutting a board too short. You simply tell Jeff what you want, e.g. 50 board feet of Quartersawn Red Oak (real experts write: Hey Jeff, how about some of that 'purdy QSRO. About 50 or so bf would do it. I'll bring the chicken).

Time goes by while Jeff saws it up, loads up his trailer, throws out his back, drags more boards out of his shed, rebuilds the shed after it collapses, finishes loading up the trailer and takes it to Scott's kiln to be dried. Usually, pictures are posted so we can all drool over what's happening.

Once dry, a pickup date is set. This is a complicated process where half the people say they can make Jan 17 and the other half says Jan 24. The bickering goes back and forth for about 50 posts until Scott says he needs the room in his kiln so it's the 17th.

For the lumber runs I've been to, the pickup was on a Saturday at the Harbor Freight parking lot. That's in Raleigh on Capital Blvd. Jeff shows up around 11, and starts unstacking some of the boards. You wander by and pick out the boards you like. Some prefer wide boards, some narrow, some want wild figure, others want uniformity. First come first served. Once you have something close to your allocated amount, Jeff will tally things using his fuzzy math, you pay him and don't know whether to gloat or feel bad because you think you're ripping him off, so much wood for so little money.

Once that's loaded up, you hang out and talk shop with the rest of the gang. Then go back and see what else Jeff or one of the other sawyers happened to bring and buy more wood. Then another board or two. Resistance is futile. Top it off with a quick trip to HF/ Klingspor/ Woodcraft and you've had a great day.

The latest pickup was at Scott's place, which I missed unfortunately, but I imagine it went about the same.

As for price - the last run of QSRO was $2.50/ bft. Flatsawn a little cheaper. The QS sycamore was a little more, QS beech was about the same. And no coupons needed! Yes, those prices are hard to beat.

:rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:

rita541

New User
rita cunningham
Jeff
It's me again and I'm still looking for some blue pine. If you can find some I'll take about 100 bf if the price is the same as that which you quoted me earlier. If it is more I'll take 50 bf. Anyway Dick and I will be at any run you have.
Rita

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors