Number of donation drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
Tracy and I remember us agreeing to have 3 drives. Scott's minutes seem to indicate something else. If we agreed to take a poll at the picnic, it slipped right past me. I don't think a poll is a good idea. I think our responsibility is to do what we think is best for NCWW and don't think that we should establish a polling precedent. That is not to say that we don't consider the feelings of the membership. In "deciding" on three drives we were responding to comments made during the last drive.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I seem to remember the polling the membership at the picnic. But the math does not add up. We used to have 4 drives at 1500.00 each. I want to think my brain remembers three drives being discussed at 2000.00 each. To run two drives at 2000.00 each, I feel like we may have made a mistake because the math just does not add up. Given, we discussed a LOT that day. We may need to revisit that decision.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I think we used the math of what we need to operate. Google covers general website expenses, and if we have two raffles and two donation drives say netting $2K each that is $8K to cover miscellaneous other costs (picnic, calendar, et).

Still, I might be missing something as well.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
I think we used the math of what we need to operate. Google covers general website expenses, and if we have two raffles and two donation drives say netting $2K each that is $8K to cover miscellaneous other costs (picnic, calendar, et).

Still, I might be missing something as well.

This is correct. There was a lot of debate, and one of the questions asked was why we needed to generate more revenue, since the revenue from Google was now covering the general expenses.

We also discussed that there was some general dissatisfaction from the membership regarding the "continual" donation drives, and that a balance between raffles and drives may lead to similar revenue but increased member sat.

The 2K goal was established so as to not be too much more than the most recent raffle, but also discussed was "delaying" the updating of the thermometer.

Rob made a chart up on the board that showed the overlap of the donation drives with the raffles, and by the time that we factored in hosting a raffle that would run with the picnic, and blocking out the Christmas Holiday, the timing worked out best for two donation drives and two raffles, but that we'd address two versus three with the membership at the picnic.

We also discussed the potential to increase revenue via the raffles, as this was a more "exciting way" for the membership to donate.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Scott summed it up well. I thought we decided to run two drives with an option for a third if necessary. Whay not simply call this the "first" or the "winter" drive?

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
OK, I acquiesce. After thinking about this, I do remember something about a poll at the picnic. I still don't think a poll is a good idea. In my donation drive kickoff post, I mentioned three drives. I think it would be better to not change that post now because if we did, it would appear that we ( really I) don't know what I am doing. If we stick to the 2 drive format, we could always, after the second drive, say that we feel that a third drive will not be necessary. Sorry for the confusion I've caused. I will be surprised if we raise $4,000 during the two drives. But, obviously, I've been wrong before and could be again. The one thing that I don't believe we've ever really decided is "how much do we need". I believe that the board will be in a better position to determine that after having operated the corporation for a year. The drive goal could/will change from year-to-year.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Soap box on.

Three drives are too much. The ads pay our monthly operational costs. We are not spending $1500.00 on a picnic site this year. The calendar is a break even. The raffles make money. So what do we need the extra money for? Yes I know we need insurance and lawyer fees but what heavy on going expenses do we have?

Soap box off.

M

McRabbet

I believe Scott Smith's summary is pretty accurate -- I did put a calendar on the white board and I made a facsimile in my notes from the meeting which shows a February to mid-March Donation Drive and another from mid-June to the end of July. Raffles were shown as mid-April to mid-May (ending at picnic) and the month of October. We discussed avoiding the Thanksgiving to New Year's period due to the holiday spending most people conduct. We've averaged $3,000 net on each of the last two raffles and I believe we should repeat that level -- if we attain $2,000 in each of two donation drives, I believe we will be in very decent shape to be able to cover all of our expenses and even to expand what we do for our membership.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I agree with Stuart, a poll is probably not a good idea.

I also agree with ScottM, if we have enough to operate and do what we need to do, two raffles and two fund raisers is enough.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
I agree with Stuart, a poll is probably not a good idea.

I also agree with ScottM, if we have enough to operate and do what we need to do, two raffles and two fund raisers is enough.

+2.

Stuart, I concur with not changing your post re the number of fund drives. If we're in good shape financially mid year, it allows us the option to let the membership know that due to the success of the spring raffle and fundraisers, coupled with the Google ad revenue, we are on target to achieve our annual needs and have decided to save the members some $ and skip one fundraiser.

M

McRabbet

I agree with Scott and Travis and there is no need to change your post -- I'm confident we should do well enough to avoid the third fund drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS