Nuking Pen Blanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

clowman

Clay Lowman
You can find here the procedure, that I use to dry mine.

Here is the link...

In case you don't feel like going there, here is a cut and paste of my procedure:

I dry my green blanks in the microwave before turning. I usually try to limit myself to 2 blanks at a time, so I don't overheat them. Here's what I do.

1> Number each blank to be dried.
2> Weigh each blank on a kitchen scale. I use the grams setting. Make a note of each blank's weight on a chart.
3> Put them in the microwave 2 at a time on high for 25 seconds. (Low is the recommended setting, but I have a old free microwave that I use specifically for drying wood and can't figure out how to set it to low :eusa_thin)
4> Remove them and put them somewhere not damp and let them acclimate back to room temp for a few hours (I usually shoot for 4 hours, probally doesn't take that long, but don't rush it)
5> Weigh them again, and make a note of the weight.

Repeat the process until the blanks stop losing weight each cycle.

I like to see a blank not lose weight about 3 times before end the cycles.

Things to note:
- Some people drill the blanks before microwaving, they claim it dries better. I don't. I don't know why I don't, I just don't.
- Do not use your home microwave. If you burn your blanks, your spouse will absolutely kick you out of the house for the horrific smell you have likely permenately associated with your microwave. I read this little tip from someone else, so I decided not to have this experience and searched around for someone that had a microwave sitting in a garage that they gave me.
- Some people let the blanks come to room temperature in the microwave without opening the door. I don't do this because I usually dry in lots of 10, 2 at a time as described above.
- Some people throw the blanks in a paper bag to come to room temperature. I just put them on my workbench.

I hope this helps. For this elm I dried, I think I ran it about 9 cycles before it stopped losing weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors