Now the "fun" begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
I am building a cherry curio cabinet to be used to display my granddaughter's doll collection. I bought a plan several years ago but never got around to building it until now. I have made some design changes to the plan. It is designed to be 34 inches tall with two glass shelves. The top was supposed to be a 3 1/2" frame with a glass inlay and the bottom the same with a mirror inlay. I increased the height by 18 inches and added an additional shelf and made the top and bottom solid wood. According to the plan, the door frames and side panel frames were to be assembled with butt joints. I modified the lengths of those to include 1 inch mortises and tenons.

I am ready to start the final sanding and finishing process which is my least favorite part of woodworking. I'll post another pic when it is completed
curio2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Stuart, that looks great :icon_thum :eusa_clap How are you doing the shelves? With such small frame members and almost all glass, I am sure that is difficult.
Dave:)

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
I built a jig that allowed me to drill 1/4 inch holes every two inches in the frame stiles. Will use the brass shelf supports. This will be in my 4 1/2 year old granddaughter's room so the glass panels and glass shelves are tempered glass. I have been assured by the glass company that if there is ever any breakage the glass will shatter like a smashed windshield rather than breaking into larger pieces that could result in lacerations. Tempered glass isn't cheap but she is priceless.

TBone

New User
Tommy
That looks so good, I have to even compliment a Tar Heel :gar-Bi

And that ain't easy for a Pirate who's also a Duke fan.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Stuart, Great looking project. Be sure to post finished project pics.

Tracy

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
Tommy, I'm a Tar Heel who is also a Pirate fan. I can deal with the fact that you are a Pirate but a Duke fan too......that's a bit hard to swallow. You must have had a depraved childhood to end up like that. Where are those smiley faces emoticons when you need them??

TBone

New User
Tommy
Stuart, glad to know you're not all bad :rolf: As for the Duke, I tell folks that I was a Duke fan loooong before I found my way to Greenville. I became a Duke fan watching Art Heyman when I was a young kid. My dad was a big Tarheel fan when he was alive, mom still is. We had some fun battles during the games.

I have since converted my sister and niece away from the dark side of lighter blue. The same for my wife (much to the dismay of her UNC graduate father) :rolf: She's full blooded Pirate....who likes Duke..... probably just to keep me off her case. :wink_smil

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Very nice work Stuart. With the glass and finish, this will be one of those "wow!" pieces! :eusa_clap

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Ahhh, much better. I can see it now. Very nice!!

What kind of hinges are you going to use? What was your joinery method for your doors and the sides?

I know, lots of questions, but I am just a curious sort.....

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
Thanks to all for the kind words. Travis, I haven't gotten the hinges yet. The plan calls for non-mortised hinges. I have to find them locally or order from Miesel as the recommended source on the plans. The doors and side frames were joined with mortise and tenons,.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Excellent start, Stuart!!:eusa_clap

That cherry will sparkle when you hit it with a finish!:tongue100:

(You may check with Woodworkers Supply over in Graham for you hinges. They have a pretty good variety non mortise hinges in a bunch of finishes. I have used them often and there prices aren't too bad.)

Keep us posted with your progress!:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS