November Monthly Contest - Ornaments

Time to vote for the Nov. Contest. FYI, no eligible novice entries. Polling closes 12/10/2023.

• Post #6, areevesnc (Aaron) deer and sleigh.

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Post #9, thebroofmoses (Aaron) hexagon snowmen

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Post #11, ScottM (Scott) kayaking moose

Votes: 16 57.1%
  • Post #13, Hmerkle (Hank) hotel scrolled ornament

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Post #18, ktwalker (Katie) trees with fairy lights

• Post #21, Berta (Berta) scrolled snowman

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
November and it is time to see your holiday ornaments and decorations. Must be 70% wood. Flat or round or makes a sound as long as it a holiday themed ornament/decoration.

Rules:
-Must be created/completed within the last 36 months - here's a reason to sell the old and build the new
-One submission per creator/artist per category (month)
-Each creator can win a contest no more than once every six months.
-Members vote for winners so your submittal 'marketing' post should reflect quality. Each post is limited to 3 photos and 500 words. One post per submittal. Any Q&A regarding a submittal should be handled by separate post or DM, PM, or Start Conversation. I like the separate post because it doesn't clutter the contest thread, maybe preclude votes being biased, and everyone can share How's It Made with the forum.
-In case of a tie, a judge panel will make the selection. Judges decision is final. Judges will remain anonymous.
-Each monthly contest can have two winners, novice and journeyman/veteran/pro. Novice is defined as <3 years woodworking in the skill-of-the-month, cumulative. Journeyman is all others. Submitters must indicate if they are novice or journeymen; honor system applies. Yep, this is a bit convoluted and may be tuned as needed.

Contest ends 11/30/2023.

Ornaments/decorations up! Let's see those pictures.

Last edited:

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Is this one ornament or the ornaments I have made for my monthly craft sale?

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Show us your best, please. One ornament/decoration.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Here is my entry, novice scroll sawer.
Steve Good design, Used #1 reverse tooth blade. Cherry with spray lacquer finish.
16994122855321592296502753839098.jpg

areevesnc

Aaron
Corporate Member
This isn’t an ornament for a tree, and it’s a single decoration composed of multiple parts, so I hope I’m not stretching the rules, but this is my novice entry.

Several people I’ve spoken with have extolled the benefits of a band saw, but I’d never used one until I bought mine 2-3 months ago. Since then, I discovered Nick Engler’s plans for a bandsaw reindeer and sleigh on the Workshop Companion YouTube channel. These are my first attempts.

The reindeer are made of black walnut, wormy maple, cherry, and zebra wood. The sleigh is cherry and hickory. All were finished with super-blonde shellac and paste wax.

Attachments

• IMG_9302.jpeg
    IMG_9302.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 80
  • IMG_9299.jpeg
    IMG_9299.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 83
  • IMG_9300.jpeg
    IMG_9300.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 79

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Sleigh and motivation looks like a single entry to me.

thebroofmoses

Aaron
User
A few of the previous posts motivated me to try and bust something out for this month's competition.

Made this little guy over a few afternoons/evenings last week and was quite fun! Hand tools only besides the use of my phone to get the mathematics correct for the ideal snowman ratio (1:2:3). This inspiration came from another super quick project in the past where I used some offcut 1/2" ply to make hexagons and glued them together with a hat just like this versions. That version took all of 10 minutes, so wanted to take it just a little further this time. Made the cubes and hat with some scrap poplar and the base with some pine plank scarp. If you look closely, you might be able to see some snow on the ground! Bamboo skewers for the arms, coal, and nose. Also learned a new math term: truncated hexahedron/cube. I really enjoy the nonrounded shape of the truncated cubes and think it works well. The corners were made by measuring a 1/3 of the length, then marking a 45° line to provide the cut line. Cut with the pullsaw and a sharp chisel did the rest.

Hope this can inspire some more submissions because I had a blast and am proud of the result. The wife is also pretty happy with the "cute" little guy. I am quite unsure about my skill level, but better safe to say journeyman over novice.

Attachments

• Snowman-Unfinished.JPG
    Snowman-Unfinished.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 67
  • Snowman-Finished.JPG
    Snowman-Finished.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 64
  • Snowman-Shaded.JPG
    Snowman-Shaded.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 66

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
This isn’t an ornament for a tree, and it’s a single decoration composed of multiple parts, so I hope I’m not stretching the rules, but this is my novice entry.

Several people I’ve spoken with have extolled the benefits of a band saw, but I’d never used one until I bought mine 2-3 months ago. Since then, I discovered Nick Engler’s plans for a bandsaw reindeer and sleigh on the Workshop Companion YouTube channel. These are my first attempts.

The reindeer are made of black walnut, wormy maple, cherry, and zebra wood. The sleigh is cherry and hickory. All were finished with super-blonde shellac and paste wax.
Nice job, I’ve done these so I know the amount of sanding you did to really make them look good. Also like the experimenting you did with different types of wood. Another fun thing to do is some mirror images so you can pair them up.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Here is my entry. The kayak is made out of soft maple. The design on the kayak is done using a wood burner. The paddle is made out of soft maple and a bamboo skewer. The moose is walnut with pine antlers. All parts are cut on a scroll saw. The eyes are map pins. The arms actually move up and down and the paddle does turn. The axle for the arms is a round toothpick.
moose 1.jpg
moose 2.jpg
moose 4.jpg
Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Here is my submission I am going to claim journeyman even though I have not scrolled very much...
Do not remember where I got the pattern, the wood is 1/8 cocobolo.
FWIW completed in a hotel room in the Homewood Suites in Cary behind the Klingspor store!
Certainly not perfect, but receivers of these a REALLY appreciative!

1700684628069.png

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
Here is my submission I am going to claim journeyman even though I have not scrolled very much...
Do not remember where I got the pattern, the wood is 1/8 cocobolo.
FWIW completed in a hotel room in the Homewood Suites in Cary behind the Klingspor store!
Certainly not perfect, but receivers of these a REALLY appreciative!
OK - this REALLY begs the question of why you were in a hotel room behind the K'spore store doing woodworking???!!! 🤔

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
OK - this REALLY begs the question of why you were in a hotel room behind the K'spore store doing woodworking???!!! 🤔
Joe, I travel for my job and sometimes that is when I have time to carve or scroll... so I throw my tools in the car and my "shop" is where I am...

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Bump. Time is running out. Get those entries posted.

ktwalker

New User
Katie
November and it is time to see your holiday ornaments and decorations. Must be 70% wood. Flat or round or makes a sound as long as it a holiday themed ornament/decoration.

Rules:
-Must be created/completed within the last 36 months - here's a reason to sell the old and build the new
-One submission per creator/artist per category (month)
-Each creator can win a contest no more than once every six months.
-Members vote for winners so your submittal 'marketing' post should reflect quality. Each post is limited to 3 photos and 500 words. One post per submittal. Any Q&A regarding a submittal should be handled by separate post or DM, PM, or Start Conversation. I like the separate post because it doesn't clutter the contest thread, maybe preclude votes being biased, and everyone can share How's It Made with the forum.
-In case of a tie, a judge panel will make the selection. Judges decision is final. Judges will remain anonymous.
-Each monthly contest can have two winners, novice and journeyman/veteran/pro. Novice is defined as <3 years woodworking in the skill-of-the-month, cumulative. Journeyman is all others. Submitters must indicate if they are novice or journeymen; honor system applies. Yep, this is a bit convoluted and may be tuned as needed.

Contest ends 11/30/2023.

Ornaments/decorations up! Let's see those pictures.

Attachments

• 20231023_190305.jpg
    20231023_190305.jpg
    8.9 MB · Views: 60

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Due to personal issues the voting on this contest will be delayed a couple of weeks.

The contest closes today an midnight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS