Status
Not open for further replies.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Any opinions on the NOVA 16-24 lathe?
I found an older one for sale, but have no concept of a fair price for it...

Plus, is it a decent lathe? (I know the old comets that were on the trailer were not built that well...
Here is his crappy picture of the lathe, (it is quite blurry when you zoom in on it.)

1662343869551.png

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
It appears to have a chuck on it. I remember the problem with the tailstock slipping on early models. I think the tailstock was improved on later models.

Roy G

Jerry C

New User
Jerry
I have had mine many years. Simple to operate. Belt speed changes are very easy and quick. You just need to get it loaded or firmly bolted to the floor. I have turned some pretty good sized bowls and a lot of pens on mine. I have the extension and legs which add weight. Never had any tailstock slippage.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thank you @Roy G (I told him he could keep the chuck to sell and he has some carbide tools - he will make more if he is willing to sell some small bundles, tools, chucks etc...

Thank you @Jerry C have you used other lathes that you can compare this one to?

HITCH-

Hitch
Corporate Member
I used one for years. Never had any taokstock slippage. I agree that it has to be firmly anchored to a bench or ballast added to the legs. I filled the tube legs with ballast and built a shelf underneath for extra weight.
I sold mine in 2017 with the 12 inch toolrest and tubular legs for $650.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks @HITCH- nice recommendation.

Assuming you upgraded, what did you get next?

Jerry C

New User
Jerry
I had a Delta mini lathe before getting the Nova...the Nova was much better in performance and able to do larger turnings....since I will never be a full time turner the Nova is all the lathe I need. Nova has lots of chucks and other support items for the lathe...you can add an extension and legs to make it a decent set up. I have been very satisfied with my Nova....but I do not turn 20 inch green bowls either.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
It was sold while I was dithering...LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS