Norton Water Stones

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbdoby

New User
Rick
Back in the summer I bought the David Charlesworth DVD's on sharpening and using hand planes. I got inspired! I ordered a set of Norton Water Stones and a couple of Hock 2" plane irons for wooden planes from Highland Woodworking. I plan of making a couple of wooden planes.

Just tried the water stones on an old 1 1/2" chisel and my old Stanley block plane. I am impressed. I've used the scary sharp method for years but the water stones are much better. A little messier with the water but I feel they give a better edge than sandpaper.

The DVD that comes with the Norton Water Stone kit is very good. It explains how to use the stones and sharpen tools without a jig. I tried it on an old chisel and was pretty successful. I need to practice my technique a little more but use pleased with my first attempt.

I used David Charlesworth's methods for sharpening my block plane. That old, beat up, cheap Stanley block plane I bought at Lowe's the day after dirt was invented now cuts white oak shaving so thin they float out of the plane. I have to wear goggles to keep them out of my eyes only to be blinded by the light reflecting off the gleaming surfaces left by my little block plane.

Well maybe not quite but it sure is fun to use.

Rick Doby

lottathought

New User
Michael
You are getting a BETTER edge Rick?
Gonna keep my eye on this thread. Might need to eventually get a set of Nortons.

rbdoby

New User
Rick
The wire edge seems to work off better. I think because the stone is harder than sand paper. To me sand paper has a little bit of cushion to it, even on a granite slab. the stones don't.

Now I've sharpened a couple of cheap blades. I'll let you know what happens with the Hock plane blades.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Waterstones are known to be very aggressive cutters, much more than sandpaper. Any sharpening system that works for the user is a good system. Congratulations on your new system Rick.

woodrat

New User
Archie
I have a set of the Norton Waterstones that I've had for quite
some time now. They do a terrific job. A bit labor intensive but
well worth the effort.

They seem to work better on blades that do not have chips broken
out. But with a little work, they too, can be made very sharp. I know
this for a fact from sharpening and old Stanley Handyman plane
that had plenty of chips in the blade from rough handling and neglect.
Made it like a new blade.

They are very good on blades that are just a little dull from honest use.

Can't wait for my new Worksharp to get here. :eusa_danc

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Love the waterstones! One suggestion, be sure to flatten them before every use, otherwise, it will be difficult to maintain a square edge on your tools and sharpening gets more difficult. DAMHIKT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS