norms plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

alleng

New User
allen
just wondering... has anyone here ever used any measured drawings fromthe nyw,if so, are the drawings full size templates,or is there a good deal of figuring out the angles and curves.im wanting to build a set of adarondak chairs, i was just wondering what measured drawing actualy means. full size would make life a whole lot simpler,and for me...simpler is better:lol:

KWGOOCH

New User
KENNETH
I do not know if all of the plans are alike, but I would imagine they would be similar. The ones that I have seen have all the details. Curved items are drawn on a smaller scale. You then transfer you lines to a full size pattern or directly to the wood if you would like to. Very good plans for the most part. I do not think you will be disappointed.

Kenneth

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
NYW refers to the plans as MEASURED DRAWINGS. This means that they have the measurements on them, but not necessarily full size. I have the roll around work table/ clamp cart, along with the miter saw station. Several here have the router table ones. Well spent money IMHO.

jglord

New User
John
Check this out. Woodcraft has a set of plans and full size templates. You rough cut the pieces and then use the templates with a flush trim bit to cut pieces. The info is here.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Allen,

I used a plan from Lee Valley/Veritas. Link -->> "Adirondack Plus" Chair & Footstool Plan

The chairs are a little more involved than some I have seen but I think the extra work was worth it. By the way it took 26BF of wood to build each chair. They are sturdy and set really comfortable. The seat and back contour fits the body nice.

The plans are full size. You can lay the plan on the wood and trace them or trace them onto template material as I did to make a reusable set of templates.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
I have a set of those Woodcraft templates and they are good. I also have Norm's plans. I'll take the templates any day. Just stick em on and trim em out. Easy to duplicate identical parts. FWIW

Steve Martin

New User
Steve Martin
Several years ago I got Norm's plans for the Adirondacks and made full size templates out of 1/4 inch material so I could make several chairs. I made about 6 chairs and gave most of them to my children. The one I kept is still in use and very comfortable, but each year it keeps getting harder to get out of it.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Norm's Adirondack chair is described in one of his books; Classics From The New Yankee Workshop. I've seen his books in the public library. Even if you do buy the plans and video, the book offers great accompaniment.

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors