Non-Ethenol Gas in Raleigh

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayH

New User
Ray
For those needing/wanting non-ethenol gasoline for small, or other, engines, the new BP station on Glenwood Avenue near Pleasant Valley (used to be an EXXON station, but was torn down and re-built - kinda across Glenwood from Woodcraft) has a separate hose on each pump for non-ethenol gas, 89 octane. Price is 3.65.9 today. I stopped by there because of their price for regular (with ethanol) is (3.31.9). First of this I have seen in this part of town.

Ray

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
I'm always wondering how honest this is?

I have a Prius and depending on when and where I fill up, the gas mileage can be as high as 58mpg, or as low as 49mpg. I have experienced a couple of 49mpg tanks on so called ethanol free gas. Then there is winter gas and summer gas.

RayH

New User
Ray
I sure don't know about that, but I have seen several posts about damage caused by ethanol, especially in the smaller engines. Good luck to all. At least this station has separate hoses/nozzles and does not expect you to believe the same pumps/plumbing can isolate one or the other effectively. Who knows what's inside the island stands.

Last edited:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Stations local to me are also following suit with E0 gas. The BP dealer in Monroe advertises an E0 80 octane and the Shell station I frequent is installing a pump separate from the regular gasoline pumps near the kerosene and off road diesel for this purpose. I've had problems with the fuel system on my zero turn mower attributed to ethanol gas & have stopped using it altogether in my small engines.

jcz

Johnny
Corporate Member
I have switched to midgrade fuel in all my vehicles and mower. That way I don't have to worry about IF the ethanol will negatively effect the motors.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I have switched to midgrade fuel in all my vehicles and mower. That way I don't have to worry about IF the ethanol will negatively effect the motors.

How? There is Ethanol in mid-grade E10 along with the water it a attracts.

Transplanted

New User
Stan
As a side...I've also read several articles about the havoc ethanol plays on small engines. To help preclude the damage, I pour ethanol treatment into each gas container. It's supposed to eliminate ethanol damage. Cost is a few dollars and each small bottle treats up to 5-gal.
Seems to work fine for me. You can get it just about anywhere..HD, Wally World, etc.
Just my .02

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Thanks Ray, for bringing this up and David for your link. Back in the day, we pretty much kept Amoco in business as they were the only source of what we called 'white gas'. Last year I discovered they had even allowed the contamination of all 'high test'.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
Or if you really want to go old-school, go to a municipal airport and get 100LL...100-octane with lead certified to aviation standards.

obviously this will not work so well with automotive emissions equipment but I wonder how it would do in small engines around the farm / lawn / race track?

Glennbear

Glenn
FWIW the owner of the shop who last serviced my lawn tractor recommended I use high octane fuel in ALL my small engines and a certain fuel additive. My Chevrolet Volt runs on premium gas so now I just fill up my gas cans at the same time. With the tractor, push mower, string trimmer, chain saw, chipper, power washer, generator, leaf blower etc. repairs can add up quickly. He also recommended agitating the fuel cans to mix the contents whenever you refuel a machine. Here is the additive which has eliminated all of my fuel related problems:

http://mystarbrite.com/startron/ and here is a PDF on how it works: http://mystarbrite.com/public/pdf/LIT010V2.1-101.pdf

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Has anyone tried the 'racing fuel' sold at some stations around in their small engines? I believe it's 100 octane and usually cost ~$5/gallon.
Would it help me get my weed eating done faster? :gar-La;

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
I have some friends who own a local motorcycle repair shop. Alcohol in gasoline is a frequent topic of discussion. I have heard riders blame all sorts of engine problems on alcohol/gasoline blends. Not once have I seen what I would consider definitive proof that alcohol was at fault. Don't get me wrong, I don't like the fact that we are forced to use gasoline/alcohol blends and I won't go into the political nature of this argument.

That said, the primary threat of blending alcohol in gasoline is corrosion followed by the wear that alcohol causes because it reduces the lubricating ability of gasoline. Back to the motorcycle shop - the biggest problem that I have seen with motorcycles having fuel issue are old gasoline, this is a common problem with: boats, jet skis, generators, and seasonal power equipment such as lawn mowers were they can sit for protracted amounts of time and the gasoline simply goes bad. The second biggest fuel problems come from the gasoline stations themselves - water in their gas tanks. This is not a problem having to do with alcohol in the fuel. It has to do with fuel storage tanks that are subject leaks that let water into the tanks.

True - alcohol bonds easily with water. But it does not suck water through your gas tank or through the gas cap. It does not create water out of gasoline either. There has to be a source of water in the first place and that is usually the gas station where you bought you gas. The best thing that you can do to ensure good quality gasoline is in your tank is to buy fuel only from newer gasoline stations where you can be fairly certain that the tanks are free of water.

Here in Denver, NC we have one station that has had serious issues with water in their gasoline. I once saw a gallon can of their premium gasoline that had over a cup of water in it. In non-alcohol blended gasoline water in the fuel is obvious. It will not mix with the gas and you can see it. In alcohol blended fuels the alcohol can mix with enough water to make the gasoline useless, and you can't see the obvious separation between the gasoline and water. Neither contaminated fuel should be run in any vehicle.

I have three SUV's, a truck, a Wave Runner, a boat, one Harley Dyna, a tractor mower, a zero turn mower, two generators, a string trimmer, and a blower. I have never had a gasoline problem with any of them. This is what I do:

Use a fuel stabilizer such as Sta-Bil in all gasoline that goes into any machine where the gasoline will sit for more than thirty-or sixty days unused. Always buy your gasoline from newer stations that have clean, water-free tanks. Any machine that is being readied for seasonal storage should also have its fuel tank filled to the top. Air has moisture in it; a full gas tank has little to no air, thus no moisture.

Back to the motorcycle shop for a third time. Alcohol blended gasoline seems to have little effect on bikes with carburetors. It can damage gaskets, but I have not seen one where this was the case. If a carburetor is messed up, it is always from old gasoline that has turned to varnish. Corrosion from alcohol blends can score injectors. I have not seen this yet either. Again, the primary issued with a clogged injector is old gasoline. In most cases a couple of tanks of good gas mixed with Seafoam or Techron will clean the injectors.

If you are buying good quality gasoline/alcohol blend you can help reduce the risk of corrosion and wear by using an inexpensive additive such as Marvel Mystery Oil to the gasoline. It's cheap, it's been on the market for decades, and it also helps keep your engine free of carbon deposits. It really does work and it can't hurt anything.

The political alliances that are profiting handsomely from adding alcohol to our motor fuels are pushing for up the percentage of alcohol from 10% to 15%. About all we can do is to try to adapt to a less than ideal fuel supply.

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
Alot of marinas sell non-ethanol gas. I use it in my boat. As stated earlier, alcohol allows the water to disperse in the gasoline, and when your boat is in the water, it is more likely to encounter such a water source. The rest of the time, I use the Sta-bil additive specifically for ethanol. Once again, as stated above, ethanol doesn't hurt things as bad as some say. And as stated above, ethanol is creeping in in higher quantities as we speak. Corn is subsidized by the government. Without that subsidy it would not be economical to use it. Brazil uses up to 25% (don't quote me, I don't know exactly) of sugarcane ethanol and in their economy and their area of the world, it is doing well. Sugarcane produces much more ethanol per pound of source plant than corn. Sadly, we don't have the climate to raise the amounts that they do. I would really like to see it less political and more for the reduction of a reliance on a single source of energy for our vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS