No entro thread eh?

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
My profile says I am supposed to have an intro thread. OK, OK. I think most know me by now. :)

I am jack of all trades, mostly technical. Computer scientist, Electronics, program management, failure analysis, Federal procurement, retired from DoD. I have been doing high end loudspeakers and amps for 40 some years as well as my very bad hobby of little British cars, which proves I can't be too bright so double check my advice.

I am working to improve my skills from machines to hand for at least fit and finish. I am not going to resaw slabs for veneer by hand. Remember the line they used got John Wayne about 10 times: " I might have neem born in Texas Mam, but it wern't yesterday"

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Scott who? Where I worked there was two Scotts. We were know as The Good Scott and The Bad Scott. Note The started with a capital T. Long story but folks seldom knew who was who as we switched, often. Anyway a third Scott joined the group and by default he became the ugly. Which role are you?

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
My profile says I am supposed to have an intro thread. OK, OK. I think most know me by now. :)

I am jack of all trades, mostly technical. Computer scientist, Electronics, program management, failure analysis, Federal procurement, retired from DoD. I have been doing high end loudspeakers and amps for 40 some years as well as my very bad hobby of little British cars, which proves I can't be too bright so double check my advice.

I am working to improve my skills from machines to hand for at least fit and finish. I am not going to resaw slabs for veneer by hand. Remember the line they used got John Wayne about 10 times: " I might have neem born in Texas Mam, but it wern't yesterday"
Well I'd say welcome aboard and make yourself right at home - but it might seem that you might have done that already.
So officially welcome Scott (another!) ... (as if you weren't weren't already of this group!).

Thanks for intro anyways - a few details in there I had not surmised already.

ANNNND the 'eh?' in the title makes the Canadian in me feel right at home too!

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Scott who? Where I worked there was two Scotts. We were know as The Good Scott and The Bad Scott. Note The started with a capital T. Long story but folks seldom knew who was who as we switched, often. Anyway a third Scott joined the group and by default he became the ugly. Which role are you?
When I had a desk on the manufacturing floor, we had three Scotts who got calls on one phone. Middle of the floor as this was way before cell phones. So It was Beaner, Scotty, and Stubbie. Otherwise what someone yelled "phone for Scott" too much work stopped.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Well I'd say welcome aboard and make yourself right at home - but it might seem that you might have done that already.
So officially welcome Scott (another!) ... (as if you weren't weren't already of this group!).

Thanks for intro anyways - a few details in there I had not surmised already.

ANNNND the 'eh?' in the title makes the Canadian in me feel right at home too!
One of the funniest Second City skits was the difference between someone from Detroit and Windsor.
If you leaned on their car, one would say "EH, Get off the car!" The south side would say "Get off the car, EH!"

As far as the Genealogy goes, to the best we can figure, all Stubblefields in the US are related as only one ever got off the boat from Castle Camps. The more prosperous branch ( other) were large land owners in Kentucky, so there are some who took the name. Good enough for me.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Open baffles are about the very hardest and require very close attention to the space around them. I suggest reading everything on the late Sid Linkwitz site. Then PM me or drop by so as the conversation can diverge from just woodworking. EQ of OB is very difficult, but the results can be wonderful.

Of course, woodworking is one of the many disciplines needed for speaker building. Turns out MDF is just about the perfect box material. Paper still the best woofer cones. A CNC machine would make cutting baffles so much easier!

The second critical part of great sound is the environment. That means management of sound, absorption, reflection, dispersion. The furniture, the room, everything in it. If you search sound management, and look for the studio sites, you will see some wonderful craftsmanship.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
Open baffles are about the very hardest and require very close attention to the space around them. I suggest reading everything on the late Sid Linkwitz site. Then PM me or drop by so as the conversation can diverge from just woodworking. EQ of OB is very difficult, but the results can be wonderful.

Of course, woodworking is one of the many disciplines needed for speaker building. Turns out MDF is just about the perfect box material. Paper still the best woofer cones. A CNC machine would make cutting baffles so much easier!
I thought about trying the Linkwitz Plutos, but there's not much woodworking going on there!

1635469795114.png

jerrye

New User
Jerry
Computer scientist, Electronics, program management, failure analysis, Federal procurement, retired from DoD.
My FIL got his Doctorate in Electronics from NC State in the late 60's so that he could design, build, and manage the electronics research division for the US Army, which he did until retirement from the fed in the late 80's. He was an IEEE life fellow. He also got involved with a few DARPA projects. Bet y'all could have got together and told some stories!.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Now that was quite a resume! I would love to have shared a pint.
Unfortunately, many of my best stories are classified.

What is great about hobby groups is the wide backgrounds of folks you might otherwise never meet in life.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors