No. 2 Plane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kent Adams

New User
Kent Adams
I'm thinking of buying a No. 2 plane. Does anyone have one of these and what do you find they are best for? I was thinking it might work in certain circumstances better than my no. 62 block plane. I realize one is low angle and the other isn't, but I find I'm using my block plane for jointing at times (smaller boards) where I think a No.2 might work better in terms of control where a No. 4 would be overkill (read too difficult for my current level of control).

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I have a #2. In fact, I used it yesterday to smooth the edge of a 3/4" wide x 16" long board w/ a rough place on the edge. But to be honest, my low angle block, or a regular block plane would have done just as well. I like the feel and control you get w/ the #2.

You're welcome to come down and play w/ it before you decide whether to buy or not.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I almost bought a nice early Bailey #2 a while back. The price was very reasonable (but still $$$) and it was in very nice condition. But it didn't fit well in my hands. I don't have giant hands, but I do wear an XL glove. I would have bought it to use and I didn't feel like it was a tool I would want to use.

I have several vintage #3 size planes, two Sargents and a Bailey. I use them occasionally but they are also a touch small.

I would suggest taking Bill up on his offer before you pull the trigger...

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I use a #3 quite a bit and a 60 1/2 labp just as much. I don't have any reason to own a #2 but good luck with that.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
A #3 is about as small as will comfortably fit my hand and I have several of them. Sometimes small is what you need. I wouldn't buy a #2 unless it fit comfortably so you're doing good by trying before you buy.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
I've had a LN#2 for several years. That #2 is a plane that I wouldn't allow a shop visitor to use. For whatever reason, it's very awkward to hold onto and I'm concerned that it will slip out of the hands of a newbie.

Unfortunately, I just don't get much use out of it and I do like to do "smalls" like thin walled boxes.

I was recently given a WR #1 plane. I originally thought that it was a really neat paperweight. After staring at it and handling it, I realized it's actually a very good little plane.

I've only used it a few times, but so far I really like it.

BTW, the WR#1 is definitely a nice little plane and in no way is it a paperweight.

IMG_7103.jpg

IMG_7104.jpg

IMG_7100.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7104.jpg
    IMG_7104.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

Kent Adams

New User
Kent Adams
Can you tell me what the planes are in order in pic #3? I'm guessing 1 is LN 2, 2 is the WR #1 and 3 is? Also, is WR Wood River?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors