Night Stand in the works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay

New User
Jay
lwhughes149 said:
I agree, this man ain't no beginner. That is beautiful work. Woodworking is like anything else we do, the more we work at it the more we learn. Some of you may remember the 10 drawer chest I made before christmas. I had a difficult time with the drawers fitting properly. I am making a nightstand from that same pattern and boy am I looking close at the construction.
Again, beautiful work. When I get ready to make something with my red oak I would like to come back and ask for suggestions. I will never remember. Question, can you purchase oak plywood that will have a closed grain as you see in the legs of the nightstand?

I am the wrong person to ask. This is the first time I have bought any hardwood to work with. I am sure someone else can probably help out with that though.

Jay

DaveO

New User
DaveO
lwhughes149 said:
Question, can you purchase oak plywood that will have a closed grain as you see in the legs of the nightstand?

I don't know where you would find it but I think if you got quarter-sawn or rift-sawn slipmatched veneer plywood then you would get that close grained look. I think if you did find it and buy some you would have problems working with it because you would be missing an arm and a leg:lol:

You might be better off re-sawing your own veneer from a quartersawn board and gluing it to some Baltic Birch ply.

Dave:)

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Bought some quartersawn white oak plywood at the Hardwood store. $105 a sheet. Didn't matter if it was 1/4 or 3/4 so when I cut it, I will measure 10 times first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS