Nice legs.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Radio on : "she's got legs, and she knows how to use them" gotta love the great bearded ones.

We'll it's been awhile for posting,but that doesn't mean I haven't been busy. I decided I'd do a personal study in leg design to get a better feel for leg shaping and proportions. So I cut out some square stock in various dimensions and chopped some mortises on the Powermatic.

Then I laid out the designs I wanted to try and rough cut them on the bandsaw and then refined the shape and cleaned them up with my spokeshaves rasps and some sandpaper:

As you can see I did 4 sided tapered foot, then a federal style leg, then another smaller 4 sided tapered foot, then a 4 sided straight taper and then a 2 sided taper.
I'm really excited about the federal leg as this is my 1st time using inlay:

I also started preparing the lumber for my next bench using the Beech I've had lying around for waaayy to long:

Also been busy starting to build the templates for the next rocker:

One interesting note here- the Taylor Rocker profile is different in curvature and length from the Maloof style that we built in Woodguy1975's class:

so I've modified the Taylor template to give me a little extra "kick" at the back.

One last note- Our fellow enabler Woodwrangler has been tempting me with all theses lathes recently and I've made a lowball offer on every one so far to now avail. So maybe someday one of these folks with the "mustard monster" will hook me up for a sweet deal. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

That's all for now-see y'all at the picnic (I've got so show up to pick up the Kapex I'm going to win:wink_smil in the raffle)

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Nice legs Mike! :no: :slap: :rotflm: Nice job on the beginning of the next rocker. Can't WAIT to see how that thing turns out. :icon_thum

Cheers mate, :eek:ccasion1

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Yup - Nice Legs :icon_thum

Next Bench!!! You didn't even get the first one dirty yet!!! :wsmile:

I'm confused about the rocker template pictures.
It looks like laminated sapele - but it can't be . . . :no:
So what's up with it? :icon_scra

pete

Radio on : "she's got legs, and she knows how to use them" gotta love the great bearded ones.

We'll it's been awhile for posting,but that doesn't mean I haven't been busy. I decided I'd do a personal study in leg design to get a better feel for leg shaping and proportions. So I cut out some square stock in various dimensions and chopped some mortises on the Powermatic.

Then I laid out the designs I wanted to try and rough cut them on the bandsaw and then refined the shape and cleaned them up with my spokeshaves rasps and some sandpaper:

As you can see I did 4 sided tapered foot, then a federal style leg, then another smaller 4 sided tapered foot, then a 4 sided straight taper and then a 2 sided taper.
I'm really excited about the federal leg as this is my 1st time using inlay:

I also started preparing the lumber for my next bench using the Beech I've had lying around for waaayy to long:

Also been busy starting to build the templates for the next rocker:

One interesting note here- the Taylor Rocker profile is different in curvature and length from the Maloof style that we built in Woodguy1975's class:

so I've modified the Taylor template to give me a little extra "kick" at the back.

One last note- Our fellow enabler Woodwrangler has been tempting me with all theses lathes recently and I've made a lowball offer on every one so far to now avail. So maybe someday one of these folks with the "mustard monster" will hook me up for a sweet deal. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

That's all for now-see y'all at the picnic (I've got so show up to pick up the Kapex I'm going to win:wink_smil in the raffle)

Shamrock

New User
Michael
The legs are for something, actually a lot of somethings...but that's a secret, I'll divulge more info in a future post.

Pete, your right, the laminated sections you see are from the 1st rocker. The new template is on the sheet of baltic birch (which I have yet to cut out) I was just using the old template to compare the 2 and make a sorta combo of the 2. I actually like the idea of shorter rockers as that means the chair will fit better in corners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS