Nice Burl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragon

New User
David
Recall that thread I started a couple weeks ago about the big burl stump? Well, I started on the first chunk of it today. I know the photo date says 4/24 but it was today. I put new batteries in the camera and it lost a day. :dontknow:Go figure? Anyway....

This is absolute bottom section of that stump that I dig up. Here it's sitting on the bench about to get a shave.
getting_sled_set_up.JPG

My initial plan:widea: was to use it in this inverted position and lay a slab across those roots once they were leveled out. Here it is after planing down to level things out.
roots_router_planed_level.JPG

After flipping it over right side up, (as it was originally growing), I looked at the grain and thought I saw some neat burl going on.
top_side_before_planing.JPG

After planing it down level and smooth, there was some rather nice burl in there and a good bit of other cool grain patterns.
top_side_finished_planing.JPG

All that grain and burl shows up much better after a generous application of BLO.
full_coat_of_BLO.JPG

And here's a closeup of the burl patterns.
closeup_of_burls.JPG

Needless to say, I could use a better camera and set up for picture taking. You'll just have to trust me that pics don't do this one justice. Now all I gotta do is get it to dry right and not split all over. All those roots hold a lot of water.

Oh, shameless plug for a router bit. A few months back I bought one the Katana brand bits from MLCS Woodworking, ( http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/ ) just too see if it performed as advertised. WOW!:banana: Compared to all the other bits I've bought and tried out, including Freud and couple others, the Katana bit slices through this maple here like it's cheddar cheese. To top it off, after numerous passes over the top side of that stump and then cleaning the bit with fume-free oven cleaner, I can't tell it's been used. I can still shave with the edge. That didn't happen with any of the other bits I've used. I'm sold on these, hands down. ( Okay, where's my unsolicited spokesperson's check??):gar-La; Thanks for looking.

Dragon

New User
David
Dude thast some cool stuff:icon_thum.You need an old bathtub to fill up with DNA.Soak that badboy and let it dry.

You volunteering? :rotflm: This thing weighs around 200+lbs. as it sits right now. All I can do to get it up on the bench and I had to call Ruth to help then.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Interesting burl, David. :thumbs_up:thumbs_up I think I see a picture of Elvis in the last photo. :gar-La;
You gotta have that bathtub just to put it in with the sawdust to cure! Will it fit into a large lawn & leaf bag or would that be too airtight?

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Trying......... not.......... to drool......... on......... computer........ :eusa_droo

Looks great man! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Dragon

New User
David
Interesting burl, David. :thumbs_up:thumbs_up I think I see a picture of Elvis in the last photo. :gar-La;
You gotta have that bathtub just to put it in with the sawdust to cure! Will it fit into a large lawn & leaf bag or would that be too airtight?

Aw Man, now I gotta make firewood out of it.:rotflm: Don't know if the lawn bag would work or not but if I can get of those HUGE boxes I use at work......then I could stick 'er in there and set it in the warehouse for a year or two. Seriously, I shudder to think how it's gonna take for that one to dry out enough to finish it out. May just wind up building it a custom crate and fill that with sawdust and shavings.

Glennbear

Glenn
That is one cool looking root burl.
Many, many years ago I had a stump chunk I wanted to dry out for a project. At the time I was not producing a lot of sawdust and was looking for a drying media to bury it in. Since the household had two feline residents I had a goodly supply of the old fashioned clay cat litter so I used that in a wash tub to bury it for several weeks. The wood dried nicely with minimal checking and cracking. YMMV but just a thought. :wsmile:

Dragon

New User
David
Not a bad idea.:icon_thum It just might work on some my big stuff. I'll have to give that one a try.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
That is simply amazing wood right there and looks like it will make a great piece of furniture~!

WOW I am MESMERIZED~!

Thanks for sharing such beautiful wood with us~!

What about just soaking it in CA glue? As CA glue reacts to water? Don't know how you'd get it to soak in though? Just a thought~!

Last edited:

Dragon

New User
David
Dragon, That is awesome....If you need some glass I have 5-6 beveled pieces that should cover it perfectly... Give me a call if you need one 828-994-7333

Thanks for the offer. I'll sure let you know. Haven't made up my mind yet what I'm going to do for finish and since it's basically fresh cut, I'll still a year down the road before I can actually set it up as a "done deal."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS