Next Tool Purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Craig Eick

Craig
Senior User
Hello
I am new to the woodworking world as enjoyed reading and learning from this website. As my skills get better and i continue to gain more experience specific to woodworking I find myself wanting to purchase additional tools and equipment. I am 56 years old; therefore, I am trying to purchase tools that could potentially last until my last days of woodworking. At this time i do not know if there is a specific area of wood working that I want to focus on. At this time i am enjoying everything i do. I eventually want to get a lathe get involved with turning. Currently i am trying to decide between a powermatic 8" jointer or a Laguna 14" bandsaw. Space is a consideration as both pieces of equipment will have to be mobile. I have a table saw, planer, sliding miter and other smaller tools. My shop is a detached two car garage that also houses two vehicles which I move out when i am working on projects.

I have read older threads regarding thoughts on next purchase; however, i wanted to reach out as well. Given my experience level, age etc I would appreciate any thoughts, guidance, recommendations etc. I enjoy other activities and have been surprised how much i do enjoy woodworking and look forward to improving my skills and continuing with this Hobby.

Thank you in advance

Craig

gmakra

New User
George
I opt for the bandsaw based on my actual usage I run my bandsaw 20 or 30 x to the one time I run a jointer and a good jointer plane takes a lot less space and is almost as fast as a jointer

Grimmy2016

Scott
My gut reaction after reading this was go for the Jointer (partly because I am in the market for one) but having square straight wood is an essential to projects going together smoothly. Its foundational to woodworking. George does point out a hand plane would work as well.... I am just not into getting a workout when woodworking and I like to be able to proceed quickly into other areas of the project.

My second reaction was... what type of wood are you buying? Do you buy surfaced and squared wood all the time or do you plan to take rough wood and mill it? Even then sometimes pre-milled wood needs to be cleaned up after more moisture is given off or you need something 1/8 thinner etc.

I stand by the jointer decision.

Craig Eick

Craig
Senior User
Scott
Good afternoon. Thank you for the note. My plan is to purchase rough wood and joint/plane it myself. To me that is part of the wood working experience. Not sure if it really is; however, it is the way i would like to do it. This is one of the main reasons why i lean towards the jointer; however, i can see the need for the band saw as well. A friend has lent me his older (+25 yrs) band saw which i have used more than i thought; however, it is not large enough for resawing etc. It has been great for me to learn on.

Thanks again Scott.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I can think of three ways to straighten the edge of a board but limited ways to quickly cut all sorts of curves.

I bought the band saw and still don't have a big jointer.

I use my table saw, handplane or a router with a guide.

I use the band saw almost every time I go in the shop.

The band saw will also let you re-saw boards to make book matched door panels or other thinner stock.

I have the Rikon 14 deluxe which will re-saw 12 1/2 inch boards. I would have bought an 18 or 20 inch bandsaw but shop size and budget did not allow.

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
If you want to eventually get into lathe work, then the bandsaw would be my choice. My bandsaw is probably the 2nd most used power tool in my shop. I use it to cut bowl blanks and turning stock. It's on the smaller side, but I have used it for resawing before with good results. After I upgrade to a full size lathe, the bandsaw is next.

If you want to do a lot of flat work and lumber processing, then yeah, the jointer is a good buy. For processing my lumber, I bought a 6" Rigid jointer off a ncww member for $200 and I love that machine. An 8 incher would be great, but for what I do, a 6" will last me a long while.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
If I had to downsize to only one type of saw, I would keep my bandsaw. I use mine a lot. Without a jointer, you can flatten boards with your planer and a sled. Plus edges can be jointed fairly easy by hand. I would suggest the bandsaw

Sp00ks

New User
Jerry
Like Mike Davis stated, there are numerous ways to flatten a board. Table saw, Planer sled, hand plane, etc. I would go with the band saw. I have a jointer but have successfully re-sawed rough lumber, planed it flat etc. without touching the jointer. My novice opinion, a jointer is a necessary luxury.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I have a jointer but rarely use it. I surfaced some 8/4 oak last weekend just using my little lunchbox planner. I knew it would be cut up into legs for a bed frame and the board I was working on was pretty flat. I got the edge straight on the table saw as I cut it up. Long boards I use my track saw.

If you really want to prepare rough sawn boards the "right way" you need a jointer as wide as the board you are trying to use - as wide as your planner. Those get a bit hard to find and expensive. Mine is 8 5/8 which would not have handled the 8/4 board I bought. If the board is straight, running it through the planner will get it smooth and not make it crocked. If it isn't straight, my experience is you will loose a lot of thickness flattening it on the jointer. I am not against jointers and I am not planning on getting rid of mine, just making the point that you can get by without one. Edges I will do on my table saw or track saw, however. Flattening a face is a good use of a jointer but there are also sleds for a planner that will do that.

Craig Eick

Craig
Senior User
Jim
Thank you to you and all of the other responses to my question. They have been very helpful. I have been able to use a jig for my table saw to join the board edges. For what I am doing for right now it works fine. I still want a jointer and will eventually purchase one; however, i was surprised at the number of comments for the band saw. That was the education that i was needing. Do you or others have any guidance on size, manufacturer etc for a band saw. As i mentioned in my post i am attempting to this type of equipment one time.

Thanks again Jim for your guidance.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Take a look at the Hammer N4400 bandsaw. Excellent European quality

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
My first machine choice would be the band saw. It will be far more useful than the jointer when it comes to a one on one comparison. As with so many of us, I started small with just some hand tools, and added things as the budget allowed. The band saw is very versatile, and as far as saws go, much safer to use than a table saw.

JohnW

New User
John
Do you or others have any guidance on size, manufacturer etc for a band saw. As i mentioned in my post i am attempting to this type of equipment one time

Since you are interested in a future lathe, and space is limited, I recommend a Laguna with mobile base. They have several 14" models that can re-saw, and include mobility. This is a good mid-sized choice and their mobile base is slick. There are other good manufacturers with similar sized mobile saws that you can look at. I have a Laguna SUV and recommend it.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
i’m In a different camp. I use a jointer and planer much more than my bandsaw (except for my band sawmill). I would advise you to buy as wide of one as you can.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
Every piece of wood goes through my jointer before the table saw. I want that 1st cut to be straight against the saw fence. I have 2 bandsaws. A Shopsmith 11 inch that i'm fitting out with a Carter stabilizer & 1/8 in. blade. It'll be the worlds fastest scroll saw. I use my old Delta 14 inch all the time. For everything. Stock 3 blades: 1/8, 1/4 & 1/2. The 1/4 is my go-to blade. The 1/8 for intricate work & the 1/2 for resaw. All that being said. There is only one power tool that I know of that does what no hand tool can do. That's a lathe. I have 2, a Delta mini & a large Delta that I'm replacing with a Nova Saturn DVR. As for a bandsaw, I like the Rikon 14 inch Deluxe. I've sold it and it's a very good saw.

Pop
:eek:ccasion1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS