Next Project for Leigh

Status
Not open for further replies.

FIVEBYFIVE

New User
MICHAEL
Last night Leigh told me she wanted me to build her a shelf but she wants it open. (I wish I could understand woman sometimes) After she got fetup with me she told me it is like a book shelf but open. She told me today that it will not be hung on the wall, but instead it will sit on the floor infront of a window. HD has poplar 1x8x36 for $8 a board. I figure for about $50. Here is a sketchup drawing.

leigh_shelf.jpg

This might be a good time to get that kreg pocket hole kit. he he:-D

Not sure if I want to dato for the shelves or dovetail. I dont have a dovetail jig. Can I make my own dovetail jig? If so, how? What would be a complementing stain to use?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I would consider thru DTs for the outside, and dados/sliding DTs for the shelves. I think that it would be easier to hand-cut the DTs than to make a jig. There are several shortcuts using either a tablesaw or bandsaw, and chiseling out the waste. I would think twice about using Poplar if it is to be stained, Poplar is notorious for poor staining. You're going to pay a premium for the wood at the BORG, that Poplar is running $4 a BF and it will be bowed, twisted and otherwise mal-treated. Also consider making the front edge of your shelves thicker to prevent any sagging if they are loaded fully.
My $.02, Dave:)

FIVEBYFIVE

New User
MICHAEL
Maybe I should use good ol pine. How do u make a dovetail jig. If i had it I would use it more. Any hints on how to make a dovetail jig. I have the bit and a rt and I have some guide bushings.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
A HB DT jig could be fairly simple to make, but I think that one that could do thru DTs would be much more difficult. But by the time you get your template just right you could have the Rockler or even HF HB DT jig and have already finished your project. The Keller DT jig is probably the simplest Keller dovetail jigs: Simple, fast & accurate woodworking tools. You might be able to model a home spun jig after it's design.

Pine isn't gonna do much better in the staining dept. What color are you going for? Personally I would use R. Oak, it's cheap, strong and finishes nice. And if you have to, you can get it at the BORG, although the BF price on that is just silly. I am sure there is a good hardwood dealer in your area that you can get lumber at a decent price from. If you don't have the equipment, they might be able to surface it for you. If not just ask for some assistance from the members...if you were closer I'd hook you up with a board and what ever you might need.
I just hate to see bad wood go to good purposes 8-O
Dave:)

FIVEBYFIVE

New User
MICHAEL
thanks dave. I got an idea about the jig.
dovetail_jig.jpg

If I cut this out of probably one of those pine slats, could it work? I need to make a base plate for my router. I have a skil router (2 actually) and I bout a guide and bushing kit, but it was a pc. It wont fit in the hole in the base plate. Thanks for the help

DaveO

New User
DaveO
It could work, you would have to be very accurate with the layout and cutting. One side of that template cuts the pins and the other the tails, and they, of course, have to interlock perfectly. I think that making a HB DT template would be easier because both mating pieces are cut at the same time. Any error in the template would occur on both pieces and hopefully cancel each other out.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
... I think that making a HB DT template would be easier because both mating pieces are cut at the same time. Any error in the template would occur on both pieces and hopefully cancel each other out.

first hand reporting here, errors in setup with HBDT jig will not cancel each other out, though errors in the template probably will be okay.

FIVEBYFIVE

New User
MICHAEL
Thanks for all the help. What is the difference between half blind and through dovetails? Got a pic to help me visualize?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Half Blind DTs only show one one side of the joint, often used in drawers. Thru DTs show on both sides of the joint

HB:
Seminar_Dovetailing_0002.jpg

Thru:
planedjoint.jpg

HTH, Dave:)

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Thank you Dave. I truly have a better understanding of dovetails now. Now how do I cut the dovetails.

Practice, practice and a little more practice
Heres some info to get you started practicing:

How to Hand Cut Dovetails

Hand Cut Dovetails (tails first)

Popular Woodworking Magazine

Hand Cut Through Dovetails - Articles at Woodcraft

I prefer the pins first method like Frank Klausz teaches, because you can cut the tails over sized and pare away them away to get the perfect fit. But if you ask others you will get a different opinion. There is no right way to do them, just what works best for you.I second taking Woodguys class, he knows what he is doing and can show you first hand.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Another option is to make it out of 3/4 ply, dado in the shelves, top and bottom, and face with poplar. If you can find a damaged sheet of ply a Lowe's, you can probably get a good price break and bring in the whole project for about $30. If the unit is 12" deep, you can live with 12" damage on one edge or end. If 16" deep, on one end (face grain running length of boards.
The local Lowe's will usually go to 1/2 price if there is forklift damage to the sheet tearing into the plies.
'Course that does eliminate the need to buy that Leigh dovetail jig, so you may not want to do that!!

Just a thought!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Sounds like if this is a project for Leigh, it sound like a project that needs a Leigh
producthead-d162.gif

or
producthead-d42.gif

:-D :-D :-D Sorry, I'm not helping much :lol: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS