Next Bass Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I'm getting a powerful itch to build another 4 string bass guitar.

Has anyone seen a plan for a Ernie Ball Music Man Classic Stringray 4 (pictured below)?

HELP I already bought some rosewood and maple - I really think I may have an addiction does anyone know of Bass Build Aholics Support Group I can join? :confused:

220px-MusicmanStingray.jpg

Thanks

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
I really think I may have an addiction does anyone know of Bass Build Aholics Support Group I can join? :confused:

220px-MusicmanStingray.jpg

Thanks

When I built my first harpsichord in 1985, I had only intended to build one. That was about 40 harpsichords ago. Instrument building IS ADDICTING! My teacher is approaching 80 years old. He keeps telling me his current instrument will be his last. He's been saying that for 20 years. He can't help himself - I can't help myself - and you can't help yourself. Don't fight it, ENJOY IT.

Ernie

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
When I built my first harpsichord in 1985, I had only intended to build one. That was about 40 harpsichords ago. Instrument building IS ADDICTING! My teacher is approaching 80 years old. He keeps telling me his current instrument will be his last. He's been saying that for 20 years. He can't help himself - I can't help myself - and you can't help yourself. Don't fight it, ENJOY IT.

Ernie

But Ernie- I already got plans for a 8 string octave bass and double neck 6 string / 4 string drawn up in Visio. Then their is Rachelbacker... Leah's sister... I'm in deep... hook line and sinker, BBQ'ed... flip me over I'm done already.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Dude I love that bass.. I can't wait to see this build. You should totally do it. Go for it.. Am I helping. :)

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
But Ernie- I already got plans for a 8 string octave bass and double neck 6 string / 4 string drawn up in Visio. Then their is Rachelbacker... Leah's sister... I'm in deep... hook line and sinker, BBQ'ed... flip me over I'm done already.

Well, there's always stamp collecting.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
You my friend are nothing but an enabler :) I guess I should count my blessings... at least I'm not addicted to the spinny machine - that would make me dizzy.

I do my best.. :) Yeah I had a short addiction to that. Now I see it as a tool for making guitar knobs. :)

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I do my best.. :) Yeah I had a short addiction to that. Now I see it as a tool for making guitar knobs. :)

Wooden knobs hu?

Here's a whole flock of 30th anniversary ones - in about the same color I'll be using. Why am I posting this - to tease myself?

CIMG1259.JPG

G_ville_worker

New User
Bryan
It is an addiction. I started with a telecaster 3 years ago and have since built a strat, another tele, es335, 2/x12 speaker cab, and have some others in the works. Go for it!

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Wooden knobs hu?

Here's a whole flock of 30th anniversary ones - in about the same color I'll be using. Why am I posting this - to tease myself?

CIMG1259.JPG

Okay I really really want one of these as well. If you find plans for them please let me know where. I want a bass, but I'd rather build it than buy one. A guy at a church we visited was playing one of these and it sounded great.

It is an addiction. I started with a telecaster 3 years ago and have since built a strat, another tele, es335, 2/x12 speaker cab, and have some others in the works. Go for it!

I'm going to start on a Telecaster in the next few months.. I can't wait. :)

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Okay I really really want one of these as well. If you find plans for them please let me know where. I want a bass, but I'd rather build it than buy one. A guy at a church we visited was playing one of these and it sounded great.

I'm going to start on a Telecaster in the next few months.. I can't wait. :)

I scoured the internet in search of plans / drawings / schetches / anything and came up bone dry. But... there are pictures and lots of them - I don't think it's not going to be much of an issue making a full scaled drawing from some of the pictures I found using a cad program. Since I know the body width at it's widest point and it's thickness, the rest is just a matter of simple ratio and proprtion :). As for the hardware, Ernie Ball doesn't make the pre 1979 muted bridge any longer nor does anyone else for that matter:( But there is a OEM replacement top loading bridge available (minus the mutes) - I plan on modifying the OEM bridge by drilling and tapping some holes in it and hand making the mutes with some chrome plate spring steel. Where I'm going to find chrome plated thumb screws to adjust the height of the mutes is another good question - I have not found a source for them yet.

Here's a close up pic of a pre 79 bridge with mutes installed

Pre-EB_Bridge_showing_hollow_saddles.JPG

The rest of the parts are readily available (tuners / pickup / pickguard / knobs / fretwire / nut / etc...) Which I already ordered and has arrived. with the part on hand - there is no turning back now. I'm going to start drawing it up this weekend, who knows how far I'll get...

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
That's going to be great I can't wait to see the build come together. I have stayed away from bass but would like to sit and learn it more now. I've played a few times but want to become proficient with it. I look forward to this and hope your drawings come out well and work well for you. Do these have a bolt on neck or are they neck through?

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
That's going to be great I can't wait to see the build come together. I have stayed away from bass but would like to sit and learn it more now. I've played a few times but want to become proficient with it. I look forward to this and hope your drawings come out well and work well for you. Do these have a bolt on neck or are they neck through?

If you can play in time, do some simple mathmatics on the fly, know the keys, scale modes, scale degrees, inversions and relitavies, that make up the chords your playing now on your guitar then your pretty far along with the basics... the rest is a whole lot of passing tones, syncopation and technique. Of course like any instrument your can spin it off in many different directions to develop your own style and take it as deep and wide as you like.

The stringray is a bolt on neck, which is a lot easier than the last one I build with removable / tiltable pocket fit neck.

Thanks

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
If you can play in time, do some simple mathmatics on the fly, know the keys, scale modes, scale degrees, inversions and relitavies, that make up the chords your playing now on your guitar then your pretty far along with the basics... the rest is a whole lot of passing tones, syncopation and technique. Of course like any instrument your can spin it off in many different directions to develop your own style and take it as deep and wide as you like.

The stringray is a bolt on neck, which is a lot easier than the last one I build with removable / tiltable pocket fit neck.

Thanks

Yeah I'm working on a lot of that trying to figure it all out. It's helping my guitar playing as well. I'm really trying to push myself to become a lead player.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Yeah I'm working on a lot of that trying to figure it all out. It's helping my guitar playing as well. I'm really trying to push myself to become a lead player.

Awesome - I'm currently working through this set of lessons with one of my sons, if your going to pick up the bass it might be worth going through.

The pickguard looks like a throne lid.

Yeah maybe after I get it built I'll call it Crapper :)

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Awesome - I'm currently working through this set of lessons with one of my sons, if your going to pick up the bass it might be worth going through.

Yeah maybe after I get it built I'll call it Crapper :)

Sweet man I appreciate that. I'll take a look at them. I need to just find a cheap bass a beater and fix it up. Then I'll build one after I build the tele.

Thanks for the lesson link.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Sweet man I appreciate that. I'll take a look at them. I need to just find a cheap bass a beater and fix it up. Then I'll build one after I build the tele.

Thanks for the lesson link.

Try a few pawnshops - I think it was B.B King who said "a guitar can't play the blues until it's been pawned a few times". But don't quote me on that quote - becuase it might be a misquote :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS