newbie intro (with photos!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Well, I've been lurking for a while and even posted a few comments along the way. I figured its time to introduce myself. First off, let's be clear. I'm not a woodworker. Not in the sense I see from the members here. But I do like to build things now and then and appreciate the combined wisdom of this group.

I'll have to dig up some incriminating photos from the 70's to post in the "who we are" forum.
In the mean time here are some shots of a project I just finished.
21_ready2skin.jpg

View image in gallery

I've built other boats and this is my first attempt at this construction technique. Lets just say I learned a lot in the process. If anyone else is intrigued and thinking of building one I can share what I've learned. I'll be building two more, one for a buddy ( he's helping) and one for his wife. I get to keep the first one. Maybe I'll name it "Learning Curve" This one came in at 17lbs complete. If you try you could probably get it in at 15 or so. Not bad for a 12' boat.

Since this was somewhat of an experiment I figured I'd work with materials on hand. I'd picked a real nice 1x10 Douglas fir a while back when I was building another boat. I knew I would use it sooner or later. At 8' long I had to rip it in half and scarf the ends together. I was able to get most of the boat out of that. I had also stashed the remains of a redwood picnic table my family had when I was growing up. Its good clear wood and very light. I don't mind a couple scars where the fasteners were. The only wood I purchased was some ash for the steam bent ribs. While I was at it I got enough to do the rubrails since its tougher than anything else I had. It was such a nice contrast with the redwood, I used it for some decorative details. This kind of boat probably doesn't justify them but it was a good exercise and I'll be able to enjoy them when the fish aren't biting.

I plan to build a double paddle in the same scheme as the thwart and gussets. Redwood and ash shaft with the ash blades. The ash should be stiff and durable where it needs to be and the redwood will be easy to work into a nice light shaft that's comfortable to grip.

For anyone who may be interested there's an "extensive" series of photos in the Members Gallery titled "Ultra Light Canoe build sequence". (if someone can help me get them into correct order I'll appreciate the help)

I've really enjoyed the level of courtesy and support I see in this group. Thanks to BAS for the how-to on the photos. I'd have been lost without it.

If I find room for a shop bigger than a one bay garage this could get dangerous.

Glennbear

Glenn
Thanks for the introduction and pictures of your project. By any reasonable definition you are definitely a talented woodworker. :wsmile:

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
Enjoyed seeing the full gallery of construction photos. Lots of gorgeous details!

Now we need to see the paddle making and "in the water" shots.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Thanks for all the kind comments.

I would have had in the water shots yesterday but a buddy called to go trout fishing.
It's not a boat friendly section but now I know why he wanted to go there- I was proud of my 14" brookie, until he landed a 22-24" brown. (had to measure with my calibrated arm, fingertips to mid bicep)
it was kind of a Crocodile Dundee moment. "you call that a trout?" "this is a trout!"
both fish from the same run and both were released.

Mark- when you finish that banjo, I'll paddle and you can provide the banjo music.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Welcome to NCWW! All kinds of woodworking on here, so you will surely find something that floats your boat. :slap:

ACobra289

New User
Bill
Thanks for the introduction and pictures of your project. By any reasonable definition you are definitely a talented woodworker. :wsmile:

Welcome neighbor. (I live just a couple miles from Clemmons.)

I would echo this sentiment. You are most certainly a woodworker. And a very good one at that. :eusa_clap

eyekode

New User
Salem
You may not identify yourself as a woodworker but that is some fine looking woodwork! And an engineering feat!
Salem

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Impressive! I found myself looking at a few small boat designs online lately. I just may take you up on the advice part. I'm thinking of going the stitch and glue method and I've even sent for some plans. Welcome to the site, Jim

nelsone

New User
Ed
Great looking dingy! I will definitely look forward to seeing progress pics on the next ones! How did you skin it? 17lbs?!? That's crazy light!

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Thanks all for the warm welcome.
Looking forward to putting faces to these names one of these days.

Salem- full disclosure, the engineering isn't mine. The late Platt Monfort designed a series of small boats using what he called "Geodesic Aeroite construction". I believe he borrowed the process from light aircraft construction, but I could be wrong. His widow, Bette, carries on the business and I got the plans from her.

Jim- I'd be more than happy to talk boats with you! I've built some stitch and glue boats and they are much simpler. The right design can be quite nice looking too. The plans from Woodenboat are top notch and some of Phil Bolger's "Instant Boats" are worth a look. I've made most mistakes possible, so if I can help steer you in a productive direction give me a shout.

Nelsone- the skin is heat shrink dacron. you adhere it around the gunwales with heat seal tape and then heat it with an iron to shrink it tight. I used a tacking iron from the hobby shop and it went very quickly. At various points in this build it felt like I was working on either a huge picnic basket or model airplane!

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I didn't identify myself as fellow boat builder in my first post as yours is in another class. I built a simple Cajun canoe and a "lapstitch" pram. I had looked at the Aeroite boats and I have Tom Hill's Ultralight Boatbuilding book. I had great intentions of applying the ultralight techniques to the pram, but I depended too much on thickened epoxy to hide my sloppy works and it came in at about 80 lbs :elvis:. Building a true ultralight is still on my long term to-do list. How tough is the Dacron? Do you have to reinforce it anywhere?

Again, it looks great!

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Ed- I referred to the Tom Hill book while I built this one. That's where I got the breasthook detail.
Monfort's design called for a chunk of 3/4 ply. I didn't have any 3/4 marine ply so I looked to Hill to see how he got around the grain direction issues with solid wood. I also used his connection between the breasthooks and the inwales. it looks a lot more finished to my eye. I'd like to do a glued lapstrake boat. I like the idea of the frameless interior. That will be more of a challenge to my woodworking skills.

Before I can do that I need to complete this project and I owe LOML a mantle for the fireplace. I'll be looking for guidance here when I get to that project!

As for durability of the skin... I'll let you know after I've bounced down a few streams. Good news is, if there's too little water to paddle this boat, just stand up and carry it!

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
oops! That response was directed to Andy (Carved Tones) not Ed.

Sorry- I'll get it straight sooner or later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS