Newbie in Summerfield

Status
Not open for further replies.

fleminggourds

New User
Judi
Hi y'all!

I'm really just a novice with a nice shop and not enough time to play. I love woodworking and have several friends who are serious about it. As I get closer to retiring, I think more seriously on this hobby so I thought I'd meet more people here on line for more tips and tricks. I mostly do walking sticks and carving on gourds (they do count as very thin wood in my book, at least) but mostly for fun and occasionally for profit.

I'm trying to find the Triad group to start with a live group too. Can you all help me find them again? I met them at the Art in the Park event in High Point two years ago and now cannot find their contact info.

Many thanks,

Judi

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Welcome to the site Judi. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap I'm not sure which group you are looking for, but I'm sure someone will chime in shortly. The members of this site meet up quite a bit. We have an annual Spring Picnic (this year it is in Cary), shop crawls and lunch get togethers. It's great that you could join us. :icon_thum

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site Judi. I'm in Liberty, about 20 miles south of Greensboro. There really isn't a formal woodworking group in the Triad area, at least not that I'm aware of. We've sorta tried to get one together, but w/ little success. Some of us usually meet for lunch about once a month at a restaurant in G'boro. Keep checking the site for an announcement about lunch in Greensboro. Our last one was Nov. 15, so I'll probably arrange one for the middle of next week.

We're very informal, w/ no agenda or program. We just eat lunch and talk about woodworking, or whatever else is on our minds. Like this site, we generally stay away from politics and religion, but most anything else is open. If anyone has a new toy or great find, or some interesting project they want to bring for show-and-tell, that's even better.

Keep watching for the post, and hope to see you at our next lunch.

Bill

fleminggourds

New User
Judi
I have talked to a few that are in this group. http://ptwoodturners.org/

Piedmont Triad Woodturners. Hope that's what you are looking for.

Ooooh, not the group I'm looking for, but awesome none the less. I only have a metal lathe and with worn out/rebuilt shoulders, wood turning may be a hobby beyond my potential. Still, thanks for the link as they have some very useful classes on finishes too that I should look into. :)

Way cool.

fleminggourds

New User
Judi
Bill wrote:
... There really isn't a formal woodworking group in the Triad area, at least not that I'm aware of... Some of us usually meet for lunch about once a month at a restaurant in G'boro... so I'll probably arrange one for the middle of next week... Keep watching for the post, and hope to see you at our next lunch.

Oooh, this sounds close to what I am looking for! Can I bring a gallon of Minwax polyurethane that I don't need to for anyone who wants it? Let me know the date/time/place for the next meeting! Perhaps I can drag the hubby along and get him back into word working too. :gar-La;

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Was this one of the guys you met at Highpoint? We were talking to a lot of people that day. This was about 1 and 1/2 years - May 2009

IMG_00942.JPG

fleminggourds

New User
Judi
So here is another newbie question...

How do I get this thing to allow me to correct my listed county on the profile? It automatically assumed that my street address was the actual county that my zip code/city is in. Silly machine.

I'm NOT in Guilford County, but up in Rockingham--though my mailing address is Summerfield (10 miles away), and the next door neighbor's city address is Madison (10 miles away). Needless to say, we live in the boonies and like it that way.

Thanks,

Judi

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Ooooh, not the group I'm looking for, but awesome none the less. I only have a metal lathe and with worn out/rebuilt shoulders, wood turning may be a hobby beyond my potential. Still, thanks for the link as they have some very useful classes on finishes too that I should look into. :)

Way cool.

Don't assume anything. We have a Good will lathe tht goes around and had convinced many members tht they are capable of being turners. Many of them are VERY good too! I forget who has the GW Lathe now, but it should be due for a transfer soon. Put your name in and maybe you'll get it for a spell. Many members are willint to give instruction as well. It comes with tools and accessories.

Doug

fleminggourds

New User
Judi
Don't assume anything. We have a Good will lathe tht goes around and had convinced many members tht they are capable of being turners.

Ah, but I know my physical limitations and have even trained my horses to turn on leg pressure rather than the use of reins because my shoulders are so bad (even with three surgeries), so holding a tool firm against wood would be more pain than worth the effort/product. This is why I chose to do hand carving as I can rest a long time in between bits and not waste any electricity. HA!

It is absolutely charming that the group has a good will lathe though. What an awesome thing to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS