Newbie in Charlotte

Status
Not open for further replies.

rybo

New User
rybo
Hey all,

I'm new to the site - just got married and moved to Charlotte from Columbia a few months ago. I've been woodworking for only about a year now, but I'm hooked. My grandfather recently gave me all of his old woodworking tools and a few stacks of walnut, so I've been setting up in my micro shop, learning how to use the power tools and whatnot, since I've grown accustomed to the smaller hand tools I had.

Anyone else in the Charlotte area? And also, while I have the spotlight - can anyone give some advice on best sawmills/places in the area to purchase some lumber (specifically maybe a few smaller slabs and natural edged woods)?

Thanks so much, looking forward to joining the community!

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Welcome Rybo, good to have you join. We have lots of members in the Charlotte area, so I'm sure they'll chime in with some suggestions on where to get lumber. We also love pictures here - pictures of your projects, tools, shop, lumber, family etc. You get the picture :)

rybo

New User
rybo
Ah, good idea. Here are some pics of my "shop". We're renting, so it's just one little room right now.

A few pics of the new tools and set up I have right now:
photo_6.jpg
photo_2.jpg

Wood grandfather gave me recently:
photo.jpg
photo_3.jpg

Grandfather showing me a jewelry box he made his mom ~30 years ago:
539266_4349958743036_2108246305_n.jpg

Cool grain in a few of the pieces he gave:
561471_4364443745152_647127497_n.jpg

New puppy:
282247_4290700421615_1459961576_n.jpg

And wife:
252882_2044862117061_8124698_n.jpg

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Welcome to our great site, Rybo.

Looking forward to seeing more of your project pictures and reading your future posts.

Wayne

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome to the Virtual Saw Dust pile, Rybo.

I live in north-central Charlotte. PM me some time and we may be able to get together.

decibel

New User
Patrick
Welcome there are a few of us I personally know in the Charlotte area.
As far as wood supplier Kyle us a great source you can also checkout Rick at the woodworking source
Www.thewoodworkingsource.com it is like a candy store for woodworkers!

rybo

New User
rybo
Thanks for the welcome everyone! Great resources and I'll definitely check all of those things out. If I can find some pics, I'll post a few of my first projects over the last year - oddly that's the one thing I forgot to post.

@Red Australian Shepherd, black-lab mix. He's a handful but very fun

Brantnative

Jeff
Corporate Member
Welcome to Charlotte and the site. I live on the north end (Huntersville). For common wood species at pretty good prices try the Wurth Group over on Golf Acres Drive (near the airport). It's a bit of a hike but well worth it to get up to The Harwood Store in Gibsonville or Steve Wall's in Mayodan.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
He is a beautiful puppy. I also have an Australian Shepherd. She just turned two and is a lot of fun.

Red

rybo

New User
rybo
Thanks - I just looked at your gallery and she looks so much like my little guy - almost the same markings and everything! I've never seen another aussie that looks like him, that's awesome. Also, nice furniture!

terry1166

New User
Terry
Hello and welcome to the site. You'll find that there are many very experienced woodworkers that frequent this site and most are always willing to answer a question or lend a hand. As far as lumber goes, others have already named the places that are your best bet. Unfortunately, other than Wurth, there aren't really any good places real close to or in Charlotte (that I know of) to purchase hardwood lumber.

I'm in Matthews on the southeast side of Charlotte.

Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors