New work bench plans needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank Berry

New User
Frank
I am in the process of revamping the workshop and as soon as my counters are finished, I want to replace my workbench. I converted an old oak dresser a neighbor left behind when she moved and I added here and there and made a decent workbench that has served me for more then 10 or so years. I would like to build a very simple 3X6 table with casters on it to roll around the shop. I will keep it the same height as my out feed table and table saw.
Here is a couple examples of what I am looking for. If anyone has any measurements or plans to follow, I would greatly appreciate a copy. Any advise would be appreciated as well. Always willing to listen to ideas.
wooden-work-bench-2.jpg WB2-600x507.jpg Here is what I am now using, and would like a little change. IMG_2207.jpg IMG_2209.jpg

Brogan

New User
View attachment 22857
That is spookily like mine.

It's nothing special - made of 2x4, 3/4" ply and a replaceable hardboard top, for when it gets too badly damaged.
Just butt joints screwed together - no glue or fancy joints.

Dimensions are 30" deep x 60" wide (based on the largest piece of plywood I had at the time), with the height being 34 1/2" - based on the height of a cheap IKEA sideboard we're currently using in the kitchen, which I'll inherit for the workshop once we move.
I figured making it the same height (as well as the mitre saw stand and router table), would make either one of them useful as in/out feed tables.

Attachments

• IMAG0095.jpg
    IMAG0095.jpg
    350.4 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:

Jeff

New User
Jeff
You can make your own plan from a picture or rough sketch drawing (6' x 3' x "desired height") and "looks like this". The sub-top design is entirely up to you as you've seen in many of the pics.

Here is what I am now using, and would like a little change.

A total makeover with a new look or a little tweaking of the current one?

I'll be happy to lend a hand with some SketchUp renditions for you if you wish. I've never bought "plans and cutlists" but have done things from envelope backs.

Frank Berry

New User
Frank
I had a chance to look over the different sites given to me here and I think I have found a few that would work. I want to keep it simple with my vise on one end and my roll of paper mounted under the other end like I have now. A simple open shelf or two underneath to place my levels and squares while working. A question I do have is when I install a top, should I make it flush with the 2x4 banding, or should I do an over hang with the top so I can clamp without having to include the 2x4 banding? If I do an overhang, that means my frame will be shorter and narrower then the top and not as stable as if I made the frame and top all flush fitting. I don't want to end up with a bench larger then 3'X6'. When I have a larger project to do I bring out my horses or pull up the out-feed table which is same height X 2' X 4' on wheels.
I appreciate all the help and advise.

Brogan

New User
It's hard to see but I mounted it 'inside' it.

I drilled holes for the rails/guide bars and screw through the face of the 2x4, then drilled underneath through the edge of the 2x4 for the screws for the mounting bracket.

It would probably have been easier just to notch the 2x4 but I didn't want to compromise the strength of it too much.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Frank, like you I'm hoping to build a workbench this coming summer. When I was in the Sketchup class, the instructor had us open the 3D warehouse and get a chair plan. I deviated from her instructions and looked at the workbench plans. I was shocked how many and how easy it was to find one just like I had in mind. So what was a grueling search on the internet and in books, turned out to be solved with just a minute in the 3D warehouse. If you haven't checked it out yet, do so and I think you'll be pleased!

Frank Berry

New User
Frank
Frank, like you I'm hoping to build a workbench this coming summer. When I was in the Sketchup class, the instructor had us open the 3D warehouse and get a chair plan. I deviated from her instructions and looked at the workbench plans. I was shocked how many and how easy it was to find one just like I had in mind. So what was a grueling search on the internet and in books, turned out to be solved with just a minute in the 3D warehouse. If you haven't checked it out yet, do so and I think you'll be pleased!
Thanks Mike and yes I went in as soon as I got that post and got even more confused because there are so many choices. I have it narrowed down to couple. Trying to decide if I want to do an overhang on one end for my vise, or install the vise inside the frame if that makes sense. I am going to go with a simple open plan with no bells or whistles. I do need the vise on one edge, one pipe clamp vice on one end and the other end will hold my roll of paper I use all the time. It's an end roll from the local newspaper my wife works for. We used to get end rolls before they stopped printing the paper there. I still have my extra roll put away and when it's gone-it's gone. I also want just one or maybe two shelves under the top to place my tape measure and squares while working.

Frank Berry

New User
Frank
I have considered MDF, but I worry if it gets wet. My wife sometimes parks her plants on my bench so she can re-pot them. I get very upset about it but she feels if it is there, it is to share!
How do I argue with that?

Brogan

New User
Any good advise on what kind of top to use on my new bench?
I guess it depends on what you plan to use it for.

Mine is just a general workbench - dry layout, glue up, etc., which is why I opted for the 3/4" ply and 1/4" hardboard.
When the hardboard gets too worn/damaged, I can just replace it with a fresh piece and he ply underneath will be as new.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS