New toy

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Did a bit more work. Worked over my KM and Bench Dog routers. Starting about 450g which is not bad as I have used the heck out of the KM. Yea, I love it.
Anyway, got both below 250. KM, easy and quick as the blade comes off. The Bench Dog was a royal pain to get both sides flat first time for real. Then not too bad and considering how rarely you need to sharpen, still a great tool. Just the Katz Moses is that much nicer. Blade still needed a lot of work to get the grinding marks out, but far easier. I put a large base on the BD for truing larger joints. KM for fine work.

Got my two Taylor spoke shaves sharp. Again, huge effort to tune them first time and I had to do a lot of work on the castings, but once tuned up, work as well as any I guess. I have not mastered the curved sole yet. When getting close, you can tell the difference in iron steel as polishing off the burr is more difficult. It just wants to make more. I did get there with both in the 280 range. Sure, a Veritas with PMV11 would be sweet, but over 10 times the price. Not disappointed with any of my Taylors as once tuned up, they are functional and any difficulty is you, not the tool. Can't say that about come of the Chinesium tools I have disposed of. Taylor can be lifetime tools, it just seems like a lifetime to get them tuned the first time.

Another thing I noticed. The popular paper slice is smooth as can be from about 450. So with a target under 300, not really that sharp for paring. Scrub plane, sure. Now, is the 16000 Shapton overkill compared to the 6000? Well, no if trying to get below 200g. So for a lot of things it is enough, but for my paring chisels and kitchen knives, nope. Doing my shoulder plane next. It is one that needs to be stupid sharp. 16000 vs .5mic strop? Jury still out. I think it depends if you can tolerate the round over.

I am now getting my kitchen knives in the 150 to 180 range. Big difference slicing onions. Victornox, Dexter, and Meismeister. It was actually took a bit longer to get a Henkel's sharp. Got a Gerber to 120.

Scott H

Scott
User
Very interesting to hear all this. I usually strop a fair bit and I also keep using 2000 grit Norton sandwet sandpaper between my DMT extra-fine and my strop which is a hassle, so now I'm wondering if this sort of thing could shorten the experimentation process a little.

I have seen 3D printed versions that use fishing line as the cut medium, here: https://www.printables.com/model/700514-edge-sharpness-tester-with-fulcrum

Brent Beach who has done a lot of research on woodworking tool sharpening/sharpness also has a DIY jig here: Initial Sharpness

And I bet I could connect a load cell to an arduino to get a peak reading if I wanted to go really nuts with it.

I only really need to compare against other things I know are very sharp so I wouldn't need the measurements to be 1:1 with a calibrated tester, just repeatable and low error.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS