New (to me) table saw fence

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanR

New User
Dan
A few months ago Mike Camp gave me an old Jet-Lock fence (like the fence off of a pre-Biesemeyer unisaw). This past week I needed to rip a tabletop at 25", and my old fence was limited to about 16", so I popped it on. Since that one cut I decided to take it apart and replace the bushing so it would lock straight for another 50 years :) . Here it is on my saw:

IMG_0182.JPG

The install was easy: I enlarged one of the existing holes in the extension with a step bit, bolted it on, leveled it, and then drilled a second hole. Repeat on the back.

Getting it apart was not so easy. If anyone needs to do this I suggest that you remove the four bolts on top of the fence, slide the black piece at the back end of the fence down to expose the pin and push the pin out of the way. This will release the spring and other parts in the back allowing you to remove the rod that connects the front lock to the back hook. The rest of the dis-assembly is easy (especially if you have a fresh can of "Deep Creep" penetrating oil).

Once it was apart I soaked everything in Evaporust and scrubbed with a green pad. During reassembly I added a small piece of UHMW plastic to the right side of the locking bar that is moved by the cam (the rubber bushing goes on the left, I added the UHMW plastic on the right to keep the bar centered). I painted the grey parts with Rustoleum and waxed the bars.

I now have about 30" to the right of the saw, time to add a long support table to the right and rear!

Thanks again Mike!

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Nice retrofit Dan! Having a fence that you can count on will make your future projects easier and more enjoyable too.

bobby g

Mike Camp

New User
Mike
You're very welcome Dan and great job on cleaning it up. It's nice to see excess parts go to good use rather than the junkyard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors