New shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Great size. I should have made mine that size. Go with tall ceilings, wood floors if you can and plenty of electricity. Somebody on this site gives lots of lights away. Watch the site often as the free lights go quick - you will probably need close to 20 fixtures

Dnorris1369

Dustin
User
I'm looking at 12 ft high yea I'm gonna make sure I plan overboard on the power I hadn't thought of the wood floor though great idea. Probaly more costly too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
Is the 40k just for the building without electric, plumbing or interior walls? I have never priced out buildings, but that number certainly gave me some sticker shock. I don't know what I expected it to cost. I suppose that is the nice thing about working out of your garage or basement (they are included with the house). That will be an awesome space when it is done!

Dnorris1369

Dustin
User
That's grading, concrete doors and windows and insulation. It's post and frame build. That's no plumbing or electrical though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Since this is going to be a detached building, I would encourage you to think about running plumbing. At the very least a laundry tub sink and a commode. Having water and a bathroom in my shop has really made a difference for me.

Also think about heating and cooling. You'll get much more use out of it if you can use it year round.

I have 10' ceilings and have never felt I should have gone w/ 12'. Haven't bumped anything on the ceiling yet. If you decide to go w/ some type of heating/cooling, those extra 2' will equate to 3,000 cubic feet of space.

hymie123

Jim
Corporate Member
I just finished the exterior of my 24'x48'pole building with a 12'x 24' shed roof area. The cost of materials, concrete, insulation and interior framing ran about $23k. I received quotes for a completed building for $40k to $50k. I ended up building the building myself mainly because I had never built a pole building.

Things I'm glad I did:
Tall ceilings
8' insulated garage doors.
R 19 walls and R 30 ceiling
full height loft which gives tons of storage
separate service entrance 200 amp.
Placed quad outlet boxes 2 circuits in each frequently along the wall 50 inches off the floor
i like natural light So I installed 6 windows
sealed the concrete floor to minimize moisture
received lights from Phil ( thanks Phil!!!) 20 sounds about right
Visited other folks on the forum to learn about tool placement and dust collection.

best of luck

sounds like a grey project I'm sure you'll enjoy for years!

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS