New on/off switch for my Jet Contractor saw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank Berry

New User
Frank
I ordered a new paddle switch from Powertec for my Jet Contractor saw and it finally arrived today via USPS.
The switch description said "will fit in a standard box". Nothing wrong with the Jet switch, but I wanted to add the paddle to it for easy and safe shut off.
Took out the Jet switch and noted how the wires ran. Pretty simple. Removed the switch and installed wires on the new Powertec switch. Again, pretty simple. Took a whole 5 minutes to do. Got the switch back in the box and began to reinstall the two screws that hold it all together. Not so simple now. I had a terrible time trying to get the screws lined up with the holes. Finally got out the 12mm deep socket and removed the box from the saw to be able to see it better. That still did nothing to help. Finally took off the new switch and checked it against the Jet Switch and found out that the mounting holes are not the same spacing as the standard box would be. I went to the basement and pulled out an old box I had just to double check and sure enough the holes were not the same spacing from standard to the Jet!.
Why in the world would Jet use a standard dimension box but with different dimension mounting holes?
I had to reinstall the Jet switch back in the box and mount the box back on the saw until I can get out to Lowe's and buy a new standard box and do the install all over again. What ever happened to simple??????

Frank Berry

New User
Frank
Update to my switch replacement.
Got to get a new standard switch box and got the new Powertec switch installed. I am very disappointed in this switch. First off I have to say it only cost me $20 shipped, but I was thinking I would get something with a little better quality. The switch is hard to turn on and off even with the paddle. I am very disappointed with myself for even thinking it was going to be an okay switch.
My saw runs on 220 volts. Can anyone recommend a better paddle switch for me to use, or do I need to reinstall the Jet switch back on? All I wanted was a safer and faster way to be able to turn off the saw without taking my eyes off the spinning blade.

riggsp

Phil
Corporate Member
Frank...give a call to Hunt Electric or Sykes Supply in Burlington and tell them what you need...if they don't have it, they should be able to tell you where to get one...my bet is, it will be more than $20.00 though.

Frank Berry

New User
Frank
Thanks Phil. I have been doing some searching around and all the paddle switches I am seeing magnetic and non magnetic are running around $20-$25 for what I need. I just don't want to make same mistake a second time. I wrote to Powertec, but they have not bothered to respond to me at all. I thought about removing the paddle from the Powertec switch and trying to fit it on my factory Jet switch. The factory switch is fine except it lacked the fast acting paddle for shutoff. Not giving up on it yet. Now it's becoming a quest for me to figure this out. It would cost me another $20 for the magnetic switch if I decide not to bother getting into it but it is becoming a challenge to come up with something, and that keeps my mind working for the moment.

Frank Berry

New User
Frank
Adding a paddle to my fctory swith is exactly what I had to do. I took the paddle from the Powertec switch and had to cut, drill and add a piece of maple I had to mount the paddle but not until I had to take the switch plate apart and remove the on/off buttons, springs and back plate. It was no big thing to do, just another step. Had to make a relief cut in the block so I could put cover mounting screw back in place, and then hit it with a little black paint. It all checks out ok and I am back up and running with the original switch and the added paddle for safety shutoff!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS