New/old air cleaner up and running

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I have had an air cleaner on my "to do" list for a long time. I was originally going to build one, but recently purchased a new/old air cleaner from a member here (Brian Jessup) for a really good price. Jeremy provided PE service to get it to me at the picnic. I did some testing and work on it, then hung it a few days ago.

It is a near mint Jet 1000B, 3 speed, air cleaner with the pocket and an electrostatic filters, but with one problem. Brian had the misfortune to have his house hit by lightning which smoked the remote control/speed control circuit, so he decided to sell it (hence the good price). My brother, an EE, checked out the processor and confirmed it was bad. I could get a replacement circuit board from Jet for $80 but decided to save some money and connect it up in a way that I actually like better for under $20. I bypassed the old circuit. left the circuit breaker, and wired in a new three speed pull chain (fan) switch which works just about as well as the IR remote- you don't need to be standing in the right position and carefully point the IR remote for it to work properly, plus I don't need to keep track of a remote unit. The Jet circuit is designed so it can be set to run for 2, 4, or 8 hours if you want to let it run after you leave the shop, but I thought that was too long. Since I pre-wired a switched ceiling outlet specifically for an air cleaner when I built my shop 4 years ago, I just swapped out the wall switch and installed a simple spring wound 1 hr. timer in its place. Though slightly different, I have restored all air cleaner functions.

IMG_2759.jpg

IMG_2758.jpg

IMG_2757.jpg

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Now that's a great way to salvage a usable product using "low tech" methods! I like it!! :icon_thum:icon_thum

:wsmile:

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Alan,

As I looked at your pictures I realized that something was drastically wrong.........that cleaner's not Delta Grey :rotflm:.

Anyway, nice job on the switch and enjoy the air cleaner.:icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors