New Member from Cary

Doug C.

Doug
Senior User
Hello all! I've been a part time lurker while we complete our move from the distant land of Apex to Cary. I've been woodworking a bit over the last 6 or 7 years, and I'm slowly making furniture projects for our home (mostly tables and a desk so far). Unfortunately as part of the move to Cary, I'm losing a good bit of shop space, so I'll be listing some of my larger tools (3hp table saw + outfeed/assembly table and 8" jointer) here shortly. I'm hoping to get by with my bandsaw and possibly a track saw along with my ever-growing collection of hand tools.

I'd like to take a few hand-tool based classes before long if anyone has suggestions? (I know, I waited too long to sign up for a class at the Woodwright's School :(... ) I'm also looking for additional places to buy hardwood lumber in the Raleigh. I've mostly been going to Capitol City Lumber and Klingspor's.

Vstrom

Don
Corporate Member
I'd like to take a few hand-tool based classes before long if anyone has suggestions? (I know, I waited too long to sign up for a class at the Woodwright's School :(... ) I'm also looking for additional places to buy hardwood lumber in the Raleigh. I've mostly been going to Capitol City Lumber and Klingspor's.
Check out the Craft Center at NC State. You can take classes, join as a member and use their tools. It's a nice place. I've taken a couple woodturning classes there.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome Doug,
We are glad you found us, OH and stopped lurking! LOL

There are infrequent hand-tool classes offered, but you might reach out for some one-on-one.
I had a day in the shop with Mike Davis quite a while ago and still rely on things he taught me that day!

Doug C.

Doug
Senior User
Check out the Craft Center at NC State. You can take classes, join as a member and use their tools. It's a nice place. I've taken a couple woodturning classes there.
Oh nice! We've walked past it a few times, but I didn't even think to check if they had classes open to the public.

There are infrequent hand-tool classes offered, but you might reach out for some one-on-one.
I had a day in the shop with Mike Davis quite a while ago and still rely on things he taught me that day!
That's very cool! I might have to look into that once I finish getting my new shop area setup.

debgreene

New User
Deb
Hello all! I've been a part time lurker while we complete our move from the distant land of Apex to Cary. I've been woodworking a bit over the last 6 or 7 years, and I'm slowly making furniture projects for our home (mostly tables and a desk so far). Unfortunately as part of the move to Cary, I'm losing a good bit of shop space, so I'll be listing some of my larger tools (3hp table saw + outfeed/assembly table and 8" jointer) here shortly. I'm hoping to get by with my bandsaw and possibly a track saw along with my ever-growing collection of hand tools.

Hey Doug,

Welcome! I still do something like 80% of my rip cuts with my Track saw.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors