New Front Door

bphaynes

Parker
Corporate Member
After our house fire (see this thread), we're slowly getting everything fixed. Next step is a new front door after the firefighters had to force entry. I don't know for certain, but I'm betting it's solid wood so I asked my GC to quote replacing a solid wood door. He usually gets his doors from Southwood Doors in Conover. Anyone know anything about them? The only doors I can see on their website are engineered core, which I assume most everything is these days. I'm thinking about a mahogany door natural finish with windows, just want to make sure it will match our brick ok. Also, I think a nice extra step would be a hidden Soss hinge - recommends for or against?

Thanks guys!

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
If your entry is always in the shade a wooden door finish and integrity last, direct sun is hard on it like Bob said. There are however, both Fiberglass and metal doors that are quite nice. Might consider looking those as well

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
I went with a nice mahogany door on our house. Even though we have a covered front porch the winter sun reaches the bottom third of the door. I tried using a high quality, exterior finish but it never lasted more than 2-3 years before it needed refinishing. I finally gave in and painted the outside of the door, leaving only the inside showing as mahogany. Given the exposure shown in your house pictures my advice is the same as Bob and Casey's -- paint the outside or go with non-wood alternative.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
I finished mine with Odie's Oil.
I apply a coat once a year (takes less than an hour) and it's holding up really well.
However, it is recessed and doesn't get much direct sun or rain.
We had the house painted and the contractor thought that using an oil finish was a stupid idea. He wanted to use spar varnish.

Attachments

• Door.png
    Door.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 80

woodlaker2

Ray
Corporate Member
I once had a metal front entry door that had some type of plastic molding as a design element. Put a storm door over it (lived up north in MD.) and the door got hot enough from the sun to actually warp the molding. Don't know if a wooden door would have made a difference but it might have.

DECC

New User
Dave
Have a neighbor with wood doors in direct sun, every 2-3 years they have to hire someone to come out and resurface it. They look great for a bit but cannot handle the direct sunlight. I always recommend metal doors for direct sunlight.

Rob01

New User
Robert
I finished mine with Odie's Oil.
I apply a coat once a year (takes less than an hour) and it's holding up really well.
However, it is recessed and doesn't get much direct sun or rain.
We had the house painted and the contractor thought that using an oil finish was a stupid idea. He wanted to use spar varnish.
That is one nice looking door! Great job.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS