New bowls ( photo heavy )

Status
Not open for further replies.

sawduster

New User
Robert
not sure how many of you caught the ad on CL a couple weeks ago for $5 turning wood. I answered it and it was 6 miles from my work. Couldn't tell from their photo what is was but for $5 :dontknow: When I arrived it turned out to be two 5 ft logs about 13", 3 branch crotches and two blanks .....all black walnut cut down from thier family farm in Iredell Co about 10 yrs ago ! :swoon: I gave them more than $5 as I would not have been able to sleep at nite :no: Fred [STRIKE]helped me[/STRIKE] cut them up for me :icon_thum
This is a bowl I made for the couple for hooking me up . It will be a surprise

walnut_cl.jpg

View image in gallery

Got a little " orange peel " on the finish :BangHead: but that is as good as it's gonna get from my hand :mrgreen:

I've really been enjoying the sassafras I got from Stevieg and have tried not to let any of it go to waste :wink_smil This was my most patient and challenging undertaking to date

Last but not least I scored some sections ( about 20 ) of poplar from a coworker a couple of months ago. The tree had been dropped and sectioned out for about a year and he just wanted it out of his yard. It was showing some spalting so I have put a few hunks up to let them cook. Once in awhile I saw some up for practice and so far have been pleasantly surprised as I get into each piece . This was no exception

I found the form accidentally while working through some challenging features in the wood

All of these were finished with Mylands sealer, rattle can Deft, Johnson's Paste Wax and lots of buffing :banana:

thanx for lookin :mrgreen:

Nate Davey

New User
Nate
Nice job and a great haul. You did the right thing for those people you got the walnut from and they will love the bowl, for the quality and the thoughtfulness.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Hey Robert,

You did a great job~! I really like the Sassafras bowl and the Poplar bowl has a great shape...Very Unique!

Also Great Scores~!

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Excellent work bro. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap I know those folks are going to appreciate that bowl. Your finishing process is outstanding. :icon_thum

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
nice work mr. duster.:icon_thum:icon_thum they look better in person.:gar-Bi

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Outstanding!
The work and the wood are both excellent.
I'm like you, I got to look at myself in the mirror when I shave. One thing if people know what they're selling or giving away, another when they just don't know better.
Kudos to you!

Last edited:

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Very nice work and a fine and generous gesture on your part. NC woodworkers are the best.:icon_cheers:eusa_clap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS