New boots for the beast!! **w/pics**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
One of the few things needing attention on the beast (new old Delta 20" planer) were the four boots that keep dust off the table height leadscrews. The ones that came on the machine were shot- ripped/torn, and in need of replacement. Delta wanted $52 apiece!!! I looked at some automotive parts that I thought might work but none were quite right. A friend suggested looking at motorcycle and ATV fork boots. Well, they looked like they would work with minor modification- and they cost less than $30 for all four!!!!! The original boots were black.

P1170031.JPG

The fork boots were available in various colors, so what the hey- I bought red ones :-D:-D:-D:-D:-D

P1170033.JPG

P1170034.JPG

alleng

New User
allen
lookin good alan,so when is that thing goin to be up and runnin?id love to come over and see her in action sometime!

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Motorcycle parts? Holy Creativity, Batman! I love it. Maybe after several bikes and membership in a club, I'm a bit biased toward motorcycles.

Nice job.

Ray

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
lookin good alan,so when is that thing goin to be up and runnin?id love to come over and see her in action sometime!

Thanks.

Actually, I only need to align the tables since I had to disconnect the lead screws to install the boots. The way this machine is designed it should be easy and only take a few minutes (which will translate into 30 -45 minutes, or longer for me!! :roll: ).

I will likely make another dust chute that aims towards the side and I still need to mount the Wixey gauge.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Hey Alan is that rust I see in the third picture ,between the rubber boots :eusa_thin? Tsk, tsk, tsk. You should be ashamed of yourself:lol::lol::lol:.

The beast seems to be coming together, when can I bring the 8/4 WO back to surface two sides ? :lol::lol::lol:

Jimmy:)

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Hey Alan is that rust I see in the third picture ,between the rubber boots :eusa_thin? Tsk, tsk, tsk. You should be ashamed of yourself:lol::lol::lol:.

The beast seems to be coming together, when can I bring the 8/4 WO back to surface two sides ? :lol::lol::lol:

Jimmy:)

Gee, no slack here :lol::lol::lol: You are the second one to notice the "caked-on sawdust" on the table guide. Depending on if I get side-tracked or not, it should be up and running later today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS