New assembly/outfeed table

photostu

New User
Stuart
I finally have a table, after completing the base and affixing the top. Still need to route out the slots for the mitre tracks and build in a lower shelf. Its nice and study and I can use a hand plane on stock in the vise with almost zero table movement. This being my first table, I of course had to stand on top of it and stomp around :)

photostu

New User
Stuart
Thanks Bruce. The top is a torsion box made with mdf and some plywood for the internal divisions. MDF layers on the top and bottom, with a piece of hardboard as the final top layer. The edging is oak.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Nicely done! An outfeed table is awesome to have, but having table with such a large work surface will serve a lot functions!

photostu

New User
Stuart
Thanks everyone! Yes, the hardboard choice was made for replacement down the line. I just cut the mitre slots last night and it reminded me how much I really don't like routing mdf :(

In hindsight, since this table has to be at the height of the tablesaw, the proportion of the top to the base looks off to me, I should have made the top 4" tall instead of 6". I thought I would need more space to give the vise as much clamping room as possible, but I would have been ok either way. The plus side to my design is the top is pretty heavy, so it helps it stay put for working on it.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Nice job. It should work nicely as an outfield table and workbench.

Last edited:

LocoWoodWork

Steve
Corporate Member
Thanks for posting this. The legs and stretcher joints look like they will hold a conex box! I'm trying to decide what type of outfeed I'll use for a recently purchased planer.

Sean McCurdy

New User
Sean
Thanks everyone! Yes, the hardboard choice was made for replacement down the line. I just cut the mitre slots last night and it reminded me how much I really don't like routing mdf :(

In hindsight, since this table has to be at the height of the tablesaw, the proportion of the top to the base looks off to me, I should have made the top 4" tall instead of 6". I thought I would need more space to give the vise as much clamping room as possible, but I would have been ok either way. The plus side to my design is the top is pretty heavy, so it helps it stay put for working on it.

I hated routing MDF due to the dust. I found that the Oneida router hood made a huge difference. Wouldn't do it without it anymore.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS