New Air Compressor

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
I just bought a California Air compressor. It has 1/4" fittings. Everything in my shop is 3/8" inch. Can I change the fitting on the air compressor to 3/8", or do I need to find some sort of 1/4" male to 3/8" female adapter?

It makes no sense to me why California Air would use 1/4" when the rest of the world (in my experience) uses 3/8". Please enlighten me!

mpeele

michael
User
1/4" fittings are sufficient(CFM wise) for compressors 5 hp or less. Over 5 hp 3/8" is needed. I've never used anything other than 1/4" fittings and 1/2" distribution pipe.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
You should be able to do either. Im curious how you think you know that the rest of the world uses one over the other. 😁

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
To add to the "rest of the world" is the mess of several different push on fittings. Mostly "automotive" vs " industrial" with a few variants.
I love standards as there are so many to choose from.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
I've been to the store THREE times to find the right fittings. The last ones I bought were from Tractor Supply. They're 1/4" Industrial, and they will not go into the female fitting on the air compressor. Does anyone the Cary area have a California Air compressor? I'm thinking about returning this one. This is ridiculous.

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
I’ve used several, along w/ others. They’re all pretty much exactly the same. Not to state the obvious, but are you sure you’re inserting the fitting correctly? Most (all?) small/ quiet series compressors use standard 1/4” female quick connects on the machine. To insert the 1/4” male fitting on the hose, you simply pull back on the collar on the quick connect/ female fitting, insert the male fitting, and let go of the collar on the female. The collar engages the grove on the male fitting to lock it on/ keep it from popping off under pressure. Being new, you may have to pull back hard to make sure the collar is pulled back all the way, and/or push hard to make sure the male fitting is inserted all the way to make the initial connection. Pretty standard stuff/ universal across compressor use. Also make sure to use teflon tape when installing the new male fitting on your hose. Good luck!

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have a drawer of incompatible fittings. There are several variations of 1/4 quick disconnects and they do NOT interchange. If you compare inventory at Big Blue, Northern Tool, HF, etc., you can see the difference.

I’ve been switching to Milton fittings and sometimes they are annoying but I do like the pressure relief feature.

I’ve given up on California Air for customer service with their spray guns. YMMV.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have two California Air compressors Both come with 1/4 fittings I have never had a problem with any of the 1/4 male fittings sold at either big box store When new you do have to push hard

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Replaced all my crappy, unreliable big box quick disconnects, some rusted, with fancy expensive Miltons. About half the time, the female end leaks when disconnected. At least they are all the same so I don't have any confusion, but not very happy.

There at least three common fittings. Some "universal" ones that sometimes work.

Forgot to mention, for a given 1/4 size, mine are rated "high flow" as they are slightly larger ID and valve spacing. Not sure that matters with any of my tools. Maybe a linear file if you had a 10 HP compressor that could actually feed it. My 3 1/2 can't even quite keep up with a MAC DA. HF one? Forget it.

Last edited:

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Maybe the fittings are "Aro 210" rather than "Industrial Interchange", the profile commonly found at Harbor Freight. I've been using the Aro 210 profile 1/4" adapters since the late 1970s. By the 1990s, the 210 profile was not as common but I was too invested by then to change momentum.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Hi Flo fittings are about 5/16" ID and do take a compatible male/female fitting because the male shank is a larger diameter as well.. I use them on my 3/8" hoses as it reduces the make-up loss when using a high CFM air tool. (Which is about any air tool except a nailer or stapler.) The other difference you will see is in the length of the male fitting. A long male fitting will lock into a short female, but not vice versa, because the short male doesn't reach into the female far enough fort the lock ridge to get past the ball retainers. And then there are some that the male fittings that the shank is just too wide to fit.

Last edited:

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
Well, I solved the problem with their guy from customer service on the phone (Eddie, the same guy I spoke with two days before.) It turns out that the female coupling will not allow you to push in the male fitting if there is air pressure on the coupling. That is, there can be air in the tank, but the pressure to the female coupling has to be zero. It's apparently a new "safety" feature. When I turned the pressure down, everything worked exactly as it was supposed to. Since I rarely change the hose at the compressor, this additional step will not be a problem, but it would never have occurred to me that air pressure was the problem. Just pushing harder would not allow the male to be inserted. I didn't try to force and take the chance of breaking the fitting.

Other than this big waste of time and energy, this air compressor is pretty impressive and amazingly quiet. Hopefully the rest of my experience with this compressor will be a positive one. I previously asked Eddie about changing the female coupling to a normal one. He said if I did to be very careful. The manifold that it screws into is pot metal and easy to damage. My guess is that such damage would void the warranty, and I don't need that headache. I'll probably make a one foot extension hose that stays connected all the time, and I can put a regular female coupling on the extension cable. Or, I may just leave well enough alone. Maybe all female couplings work this way and it really is not a new feature. In any case, all is well. Thanks for the suggestions. I've learned more about air hoses and fittings than I ever wanted to know.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Thanks for that update. That is the first I have heard of the lock out under pressure. All of mine (years old) on both compressors can be attached under pressure.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors