Need volunteers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
Eric,

I was out at the shop briefly this morning, but wasn't able to get the necessary measurements. No worries, I'll be out there all weekend.

I do have a few questions:

I assume the "dust guard" that you referred to in your original post is the guard over the belt?

Do you want the stock splitter/blade guard installed as well? I don't even know if I still have mine. Looking at a similar saw (similar to my saw) in Lowes today it looks like that monstrosity would be in the way if installed. I notice that it's not installed on your saw in the video.

I don't know what material you were planning to use for the forum test prototypes, but may I suggest tempered hardboard? Certainly it won't be as pretty as the clear version, but it would save you a bunch of money in materials. And since you are offering freebies to the test subjects, I doubt anyone would mind.

Lastly, since I live in Garner, and I'm in and out of Raleigh almost daily, I could come by and pick up my test piece from you in person. Save you shipping costs, and I get to meet yet another member.

cubicdissection

New User
Eric
Eric,

I was out at the shop briefly this morning, but wasn't able to get the necessary measurements. No worries, I'll be out there all weekend.

I do have a few questions:

I assume the "dust guard" that you referred to in your original post is the guard over the belt?

Do you want the stock splitter/blade guard installed as well? I don't even know if I still have mine. Looking at a similar saw (similar to my saw) in Lowes today it looks like that monstrosity would be in the way if installed. I notice that it's not installed on your saw in the video.

I don't know what material you were planning to use for the forum test prototypes, but may I suggest tempered hardboard? Certainly it won't be as pretty as the clear version, but it would save you a bunch of money in materials. And since you are offering freebies to the test subjects, I doubt anyone would mind.

Lastly, since I live in Garner, and I'm in and out of Raleigh almost daily, I could come by and pick up my test piece from you in person. Save you shipping costs, and I get to meet yet another member.

If the splitter comes out the back, yes, it would be great if it were included. The splitter comes out the top on both of my saws, but I was looking over a delta contractors saw at Klingspor yesterday and noticed that as well. Ihave now modified the measurement template with a "Misc" section, where you can note any other items which protrude out the back other than the motor mount and belt guard.

I'll do the freebies f from acrylic too - for all the help I'm getting, I'm not about to cheap out. Besides, the magnets pressfit into the acrylic, and I think that wouldn't work as well in hardboard. Also, I'd like the test members to get a copy that is identical to the production version so hopefully they can send me some nice testamonials :D

You're welcome to swing by if you like...my shop is right downtown in Raleigh by the amtrack station.

lspooz

Larry
Corporate Member
Hmm, I thought the sawstop already had kick butt internal dust collection. Surprised to her you could use one. In your opinion, is it necessary? I don't want to be selling snake oil here, and making them for saws that don't need it.

To be honest, there is VERY LITTLE dust with it hooked up to a Ridgid wet-dry vac and upgraded HEPA filter, so it probably isn't necessary -
this is my first/only table saw, in use for about a week, so I have nothing to compare it too (althought my miter saw makes more dust than the Sawstop, now that you mention it) The Dustructor might be a hard sell for that model too, since the opening near the motor is a little tight.
Don't send an acrylic template, but still LMK how to do the measurements just so you have one more data set for your templates

cubicdissection

New User
Eric
Hi Larry,

Thanks for volunteering, I really do appreciate it. However, the Sawstop uses truly *next generation* dust collection inside the saw itself, and as such isn't really a candidate for the Dustroyer. My market is more the traditional contractor's saws with completely open backs which spew dust no matter how powerful your DC is.

As I said, thanks a million for volunteering your time! All this support means a lot to me guys! :eek:ccasion1:notworthy:

cubicdissection

New User
Eric
OK, things have been slow the last several days because I ran an update and sold all the stuff I've been working on the last month. Packed up about 70 orders today, so should be able to get back on the horse and get some dustroyers out this week hopefully!

cubicdissection

New User
Eric
They're rolling off the laser! Dolan's went out today and I'll be shipping out the other ones to those who sent plans tomorrow. I'll also update the OP to accurately reflect who sent what plans, and maybe update which saws I'm still trying to get measurements for. I've switched to 1/4 inch acrylic and stronger magnets - the guard is quite robust now! Still need to get the website up and running...the most boring part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS