Need Vise recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I am going to blow my contest GC on vises for my new WW bench during Woodcraft's upcoming "Main Event" sale on Feb 6 & 7.

I have been talking with Herb Shelley who is going to put together a selection for me. The different vises (brands and features) available make it difficult to choose, so I need your recommendations and user reports on the units available at Woodcraft, and on specific features like quick release, diameter of lead screw, etc.

Here is my plan (3 vise layout):

A Veritas Twin-Screw end vise (this one is a definite)
16A72_230.jpg

Wood jaw quick release front vise (hardware) (Groz, Asian copy, etc.?)
User reports? How smoothly does it operate, how reliable is the QR mechanism, etc.?
17A11_230.jpg

Sliding end/tail vise. Any user comments:
17D02_230.jpg

Since I am likely getting a pre-made top (a used maple top from Bally), I will be using round bench dogs, likely Veritas Dogs (bench) and Pups (vise jaw faces) which take a 3/4" hole. That way I can also use 3/4" Gramercy holdfasts.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I got the Groz copy last year $49.00 sale (hehehe). QR lever is stiff, which is probably a good thing. However, the pop-up is plastic which is a bad thing. Easily replaced though. The screw and nut is substantial enough for me and the overall action is smooth and solid.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have the QR front vise hardware. It actually works pretty well and is easy to use IMO. I would wax the steel rods to prevent rust and to keep it working smoothly.

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I got the Groz copy last year $49.00 sale (hehehe). QR lever is stiff, which is probably a good thing. However, the pop-up is plastic which is a bad thing. Easily replaced though. The screw and nut is substantial enough for me and the overall action is smooth and solid.

Joe, since you mentioned pop-up I assume you are talking about the the vise with cast faces instead of the vise hardware (make your own face/jaw)?

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I went with a cheap knockoff on the end...racks pretty bad, Twin Screw is a NO-Brainer...I suspected that but the price scared me.

I used the Anant 10 1/2 inch quick release front vise (Record knockoff). I like it. It is pretty stiff, the quick release works. I think they got it right.

Chuck

I plan to use the "vise hardware" type clamp, though I do have a metal Jorgensen QR vise I got a few years ago. I'll probably sell it here.

Nice looking bench. Is that a purple heart jaw?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS