Need to Make Space

Status
Not open for further replies.

blazeman45

New User
Steve
Allright, I know I will probably get a hundred opinions :gar-La; but here goes!!

I just finished building my new shop which is 14 x 26. I have a radial arm saw that i don't use to often... I could really use the space and after spending all morning moving equipment around :BangHead:, I think I want a sliding compund mitre saw that i can set up in a counter top configuration.

For those of you who have a sliding Compound Miter Saw, any down side? I currently have a Dewalt 12" Compound Miter Saw and love it.

Lets here it!! :help:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
IMHO dump the RAS and get the sliding miter. They take up less space and are more accurate.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Get an industrial Rockwell 20 inch radial arm saw. It is bigger and less accurate but it will only cost you an arm and a leg. Well, the arm for sure.

14 x 26? That must be like pure heaven on earth. :rotflm:

Can you cut a dado with a sliding miter saw?

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Get an industrial Rockwell 20 inch radial arm saw. It is bigger and less accurate but it will only cost you an arm and a leg. Well, the arm for sure.

:rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:

I'd go with the sliding MS. Do the dados on the TS. :icon_thum

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
In the way that I work in the shop a SCMS is 1000x more useful than an RAS. I sold my Delta RAD over 5 years ago and do not regret it. I sold my DeWalt SMCS here after I got a Festool Kapex.

The only downside for a CMS is dust collection usually is awful. Not so much with the Festool though :)wink_smil).

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
The only benefit I can think of for a RAS is cutting dados across long boards... maybe handy for making some kinds of shelves (tall book case?). However, there are loads of ways to attach shelves to sides, including cutting a dado with a router and straightedge. I have a SCMS and love it. I don't really think there are enough benefits to having a radial arm saw, to warrant the expense, or the space.

blazeman45

New User
Steve
Thanks guys.... At least I was not shocked by any of those responses... I heard exactly what I was already thinkin!! :gar-La;

Now lets here some pros and cons for who makes the best Sliding Compund Miter Saw... I already have a 12" Dewalt and love it so I am leaning toward... well duh, Dewalt!!

In case anybody was wondering...

I HATE radial arm saws.

Mike you wanna buy my RAS? Give you a good deal, like new, used by a lil ole lady on Sundays only! :rotflm:
Seriously, if anybody is looking or knows someone I will be listing it in the Classifieds soon! :thumbs_up

Trog777

New User
Trog
I had a Dewalt, now I have a Makita. Can't really compare because I bought a nice Forrest blade for the Makita, and figure with the difference that made, I shoulda kept the Dewalt and just put a Chopmaster blade on it. I miss the horizontal handle on the Dewalt, but I'm getting used to the Makita. Never used the Festool, but if it's as good as advertised, I know my bank account will grunt if I ever get to try one. It's crossed my mind to plunge anyway because I don't use a tablesaw, preferring to work with band saws, and use a miter saw bunches. Just not sure if it's worth the money without ever using one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS