Need Air cleaning system

Status
Not open for further replies.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Does anyone have any suggestions on where I could find a good air cleaning system for my 20 x20 shop? My ceilings are 7' tall. This is my third year in the shop making furniture and it seems this is the next item that can't wait any longer. I don't mind traveling to pick-up something if the directions are very very good. Thanks for the help. Lorraine

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
elsewhere here there exists a thread on building an air cleaner - using furnace filters and a salvaged squirrel-cage fan. perhaps better to use a better quality filter like Bruce (junquecol) has suggested, but one heck of an inexpensive way to address the problem without throwing fistfuls of money at Jet, JDS, or Delta....

lemme see if I can find it.

got it, right here!

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Peter, I don't mind paying a couple hundred dollars for a unit. I looking into making my own system and found it difficult to get the blower in my area. That is the reason I am looking to purchase a new one. I saw two recently on Craigs list and they were good deals however I hesitated because I fear buying something for $200 and finding that it doesn't work. I would have thrown away $200. If anyone knows the people who are selling those, I might consider that direction. BTW, I have a dust system in my shop, it is the fine dust and the sanding dust that I am worried about. Lorraine

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Lorraine, I have a Jet 1000 air cleaner that I bought used for around $150. It really does work well, and is worth the money. But after buying it and looking at what it was I wished that I had just made my own. The only advantage to having the purchased model is the remote control, and timer function so I can leave it running after I leave the shop.
We just bought my FIL the same type of Jet for $199 off Amazon, delivered in 3 days :eusa_danc
Dave:)

Glennbear

Glenn
Lorraine, I have a Jet 1000 air cleaner that I bought used for around $150. It really does work well, and is worth the money. But after buying it and looking at what it was I wished that I had just made my own. The only advantage to having the purchased model is the remote control, and timer function so I can leave it running after I leave the shop.
We just bought my FIL the same type of Jet for $199 off Amazon, delivered in 3 days :eusa_danc
This air cleaner discussion is coming a little too early !! I have bought the materials and will be commencing construction shortly. I will have a timer incorporated and the filters used will be MERV 8 and MERV 12 which are much better than the "blue" filters that were correctly pointed out as being kinda inadequate. The only feature I am not putting in is a remote since I intend to have the unit running whenever I am in the shop and the breaker is handy. Pictures will follow as work progresses.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Loraine, I probably have a blower in my collection of junk. Tomorrow I will check on it and let you know. Can't do it today, as I'm fixing to eat and then go to work.

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Loraine,

I just posted a complete air cleaner kit in the classified section. It came from Eagle America and I've had it for a couple of years. Was going to build it but LOML bought me a Jet AC last year for a birthday present.

PM me if interested.

Dan C.

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
This air cleaner discussion is coming a little too early !! I have bought the materials and will be commencing construction shortly. I will have a timer incorporated and the filters used will be MERV 8 and MERV 12 which are much better than the "blue" filters that were correctly pointed out as being kinda inadequate. The only feature I am not putting in is a remote since I intend to have the unit running whenever I am in the shop and the breaker is handy. Pictures will follow as work progresses.

Get one of these: http://doitbest.com/Photoelectric+a...n-model-RO2-PRI50-1LW-doitbest-sku-512273.dib
and whenever you walk in, it's on.
Set the delay to turn off 10 minutes after you leave.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Get one of these: http://doitbest.com/Photoelectric+a...n-model-RO2-PRI50-1LW-doitbest-sku-512273.dib
and whenever you walk in, it's on.
Set the delay to turn off 10 minutes after you leave.

My in-laws have a switch like that in their bathroom. At first I thought it was the greatest idea, and wanted to use them in my bathroom (there is a real problem with one-way switches in my house...they seem to only turn on :icon_scra) But after spending some time in that bathroom, and having the lights turn off on me during a crucial moment (requiring some frantic arm waving to get them back on) I decided to try to train my family to turn off lights.
I think in order for something like that to work for a air filter system the switch would have to be located were you would walk past in very regularly.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Dan, the unit you have, could it be tailored to fit my 20 x 20 shop or would the motor be too large for a small shop? I see that I will be making the plywood box for it. If it can be made to fit my shop, I am interested. lorraine

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Loraine,

I sent you an e-mail w/the specifics. The motor size is fine for your size shop (465 CFM) and the size is 40"X13.5"X24". You can wall mount or ceiling mount it/

Dan C.

PS...The plans for constructing it are very detailed and it should be real easy to construct.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Lorraine I think what Dan is offering would be perfect for your size shop. It has a 465 cfm blower and you have ~2800 cubic feet of shop air, so it would filter the air (theoretically) about 10 times an hour. That's about ideal :icon_thum
Dave"-)

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Ok guys, here is a woman in need of help. Can anyone see any way of helping me get delivery of the air cleaning kit Dan has for me? I can't get to Charlotte I have a husband who isn't traveling very well at the moment. I will be at the VA hospital in Durham on Tuesday morning with my husband, any ideas? As I said earlier, I can travel if I get good directions. I wasn't in line when they were giving out knowledge on how to navigate from place to place. I have a neighbor who will be in Durham on tuesday who knows locations on Hwy 1 near the beltline, if that helps. I also have someone who lives in Cary if that will help. I could also find my way to the woodworking store on Hwy 1 just before the beltline. I would prefer that if possible. Thanks from Lorraine

mtrager

New User
Mitch
Lorraine:

Redmond MAchinery (in Atlanta) has a scratch & dent new Jet AFS-1000b air cleaner for $176 I believe. I have the same unit and it has been mentioned in this thread. It works very well. Has 3 speeds and a timer with (I think) 3 different time settings and a remote. They will deliver it right to your door.

I will send you the info on Redmond separately.

Mitch Trager

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS