Natural edge birdseye maple bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Steve Your Bowl Is Amazing~!

What grit did you sand it too? And how did you sand it? I seem to have a probelm with my sanding marks showing.

So others can see it better.

Last edited:
Sanding takes as long as making the bowl for me, maybe longer. I usually start with 120 grit and work my way up to 1500 grit. I have started with 60 grit when there is a lot of tear-out that I can't get rid of with a tool but the liklihood of scratch marks increases if you start with coarse grits. The better you finish the piece with tools, the higher the starting grit with sandpaper (and the less likely that you will leave sanding marks). I have found that if I patiently and thoroughly sand with each grit (going up in 100 grit increments) there are no sanding marks. I use a dynabrade pneumatic sander that turns 2500 rpm and a variety of disc holders (2" to 5") depending on the size and shape of the piece. I do almost all of my sanding on the lathe.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Sanding takes as long as making the bowl for me, maybe longer. I usually start with 120 grit and work my way up to 1500 grit. I have started with 60 grit when there is a lot of tear-out that I can't get rid of with a tool but the liklihood of scratch marks increases if you start with coarse grits. The better you finish the piece with tools, the higher the starting grit with sandpaper (and the less likely that you will leave sanding marks). I have found that if I patiently and thoroughly sand with each grit (going up in 100 grit increments) there are no sanding marks. I use a dynabrade pneumatic sander that turns 2500 rpm and a variety of disc holders (2" to 5") depending on the size and shape of the piece. I do almost all of my sanding on the lathe.

Thanks Steve,

I think that is my problem, First I don't have an angle sander. I do all my sanding by hand on the lathe and then stop the piece and go with the grain to get out the deeper marks and then move on to the next grit. I start out with 100 to 120 then to 150, 180, 220, 320, 400, then brown paper bag.

On segmented items, My way works just fine as I am sanding the same way on all the grain, whereas with a bowl blank I have the end grain to mess with. And thats where most of my sanding marks show up. :BangHead:

I think I may invest in one of these:
image_3397.jpg

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eighth-inch-close-quarters-drill-with-keyless-chuck-95877.html

It's more within my price range.

Thanks again~! :notworthy:

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
Hot dog ,you got a real beauty there,georgous figure.Hope that buzz saw didn't remove to much skin:notworthy: :notworthy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS