native fruit tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

unimog

New User
CHO
I am planning before the end of the year to plant some fruit trees.
My intent would be to use native trees to NC; I would prefer not using hybrid trees.
Does anybody have suggestion on nurseries that may be able to supply native tree?

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
you might try one of these. I can't tell if they are natural seedlings or grafts but they offer heirloom varietys

Sources for Heirloom variety seedlings:

Calhoun's Nursery
295 Black Twig Rd.
Pittsboro, NC 27312
(919) 542-4480

Tim Hensley
818 Cumberland St.
Bristol, VA 24201
(703) 466-2931

Tom Ray & Sons Nursery
Rt. 4 Box 318
Marshall, NC 28753
(828) 656-2553

Maurice Marshall
Route 1, Box 202A
Pinnacle, NC 27043
(910) 351-5326.

one more, with some good information is
http://www.bighorsecreekfarm.com/default.htm

Last edited:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I am planning before the end of the year to plant some fruit trees.
My intent would be to use native trees to NC; I would prefer not using hybrid trees.
Does anybody have suggestion on nurseries that may be able to supply native tree?

When you say Native are you meaning it in it's true sense...tree species that were here before the "white man".
If so I think that you are going to be disappointed with your selection. Native "normal" fruit bearing trees and large shrubs in NC consist of : Persimmon, Paw Paw, American Plum, Mulberry, Blueberries and Grapes. Of course there are also a lot of Mast crop producing trees and shrubs, but those aren't normally eaten by people
Your commonly thought of fruits like Apples, Pears, Peaches, Cherry etc are all introductions from other countries.

Now if you want to go with Naturalized plants, as in "grows and thrives here without upsetting the normal ecological balance". Then you would want to look to some of the heirloom varieties of introduced plants.

Dave:)

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Don't flinch over "grafting" either. Grafted stock simply gives you a better root system and trunk in some cases. Fruit is same or better.

unimog

New User
CHO
When you say Native are you meaning it in it's true sense...tree species that were here before the "white man".
If so I think that you are going to be disappointed with your selection. Native "normal" fruit bearing trees and large shrubs in NC consist of : Persimmon, Paw Paw, American Plum, Mulberry, Blueberries and Grapes.
Dave:)

I am not be disappointed with the selection; I like fruits in general and the one you mention are definitely yummy .:icon_thum

I will keep searching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors