National cemetery urns for vets project

Status
Not open for further replies.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Charley Lent and I, met with Donald Owens, National Cemetery director, this afternoon. Some of the things that came out of the meeting are, we will be providing burial urns for ALL the National Cemeteries in NC, and Danville, VA. The urns will be stored at the Salisbury Cemetery Office.
It was decided the insignia of branch of service would look better on the front panel of the urn, and a slight recess should be countersunk by the urn builder, for positioning the insignia, which will be done by cemetery staff when the urn is placed into service. The NC WOODWORKER logo will be countersunk in the bottom.
It was decided that the interior of the urn should be large enough to accommodate either a cardboard box or plastic cremains container, eliminating the need to remove the ashes from the original container. The cemetery staff will not remove the ashes from the original container, so this would make placing the cremains in the urn much easier.
Charley Lent will check with our NCWW member, and funeral director Kevin, to determine if we need to change the dimensions of the urn. For those urns already made, they are ok, and the cemetery staff will work with them.
As far as quantities of urns needed, probably 12 urns immediately. Experience will tell us what to expect. The number of service insignias as follows, Army 6, Navy 6, Marines 4, Air Force 4, Coast Guard 2. These figures do not include the possibility of the program being implemented in the state veterans cemeteries.
We need to collect and place the NCWW insignias on the bottom, and then deliver the urns to the cemetery. Please post if you have an urn, or urns built, and we'll try to coordinate pony express to a central point or two. I'll drive as far as Greensboro to pick up urns.
Thanks everyone, for your help.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
One in house awaiting the first emblems, drill bit for the emblems due to arrive tomorrow. I will do a test run for fit and advise asap.
Brad has made the first ones .015 under 2" as a cya for a 2" fostner countersink in case it drills tight or undersize. Emblems are already en route thanks again to Brad for mailing them yesterday. :)

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Bruce I just made one a month ago for my wife's father. It was for the cardboard box and it was bigger than you requested. Also the recess's in the front and bottom....same size?.....how deep

Last edited by a moderator:

Skymaster

New User
Jack
dirk, what were your dimensions? The recesses are 2" for bottom and 3" for the FRONT FACE. Depth should be a heavy 1/8". I think emblems should be flush to slightly recessed IMHO. This way they cannot get snagged and possibly dislodged. The bottom 2" emblem can be permanently glued during construction, the members service emblem will be attached via double stick tape at the funeral home by the funeral home.

jazzflute

Kevin
Corporate Member
dirk, what were your dimensions? The recesses are 2" for bottom and 3" for the FRONT FACE. Depth should be a heavy 1/8". I think emblems should be flush to slightly recessed IMHO. This way they cannot get snagged and possibly dislodged. The bottom 2" emblem can be permanently glued during construction, the members service emblem will be attached via double stick tape at the funeral home by the funeral home.

The tape seems like a good plan. I recommend that we get some of the FastCap tape, as it is designed to position just like any other 2-sided tape, but then over 24-48 hours it dries to the same strength as wood glue. It is used regularly for edge banding by cabinet pros who have to attach pieces in the field. It comes in wide widths too, so it would be easy to size it correctly for the medallions.

http://www.fastcap.com/estore/pc/SpeedTape-17p310.htm

K

P.S. When the link starts to talk—and it will—hit the little "bomb" button in the lower right hand corner... Very satisfying.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
A thought; we have several vendors here that are in the wood business, perhaps some of them can step up and donate material.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors