My new skiff project

Status
Not open for further replies.

coastal1

New User
Ben
This skiff will be my second cedar boat but this one will cost considerably less. I was in Lowes the other day and noticed they had the 1x6x12 cedar boards on clearance for only 3.76 each. Needless to say I scarfed all 12 remaining boards up. They are a little dinged up but my planer seems to have straightend them out decent enough for my little skiff. So I have the early stages started with a few sacrificial spreaders in place. I will post a few more pics in my gallery as it progresses.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Ben, I'm really looking forward to seeing some WIP pixs on this project. :icon_thum
That has to be a great challenge!

Roger

coastal1

New User
Ben
This is the first pic of the new skiff. I put the remaining side planks on yesterday and will post a pic later this evening. Sometimes I build these in an unorthadox way depending on the mood the wood is in. I'll explain in more detail when I post tonight.
:gar-Bi

newboat.jpg

coastal1

New User
Ben
Okay here is the next step that I finished in about 6 hrs of wor. I attached the three side planks and expoxied all countersunk holes and suspicious looking knots. Like I said the wood was on clearance and has some scuffs so I decided to leave a few of the bad spots for character knowing that I'll seal them with epoxy. I've also coated the inside with one coat of epoxy at this point. The stem and spreaders are sacrificial just to get my shape I wanted. I'll install the stem and transom after I get the outside epoxied. I could have attached the bottom but i'm still deciding what type of wood I want to use. Sorry this is kinda long but i'm just describing the pics a little.

2.jpg

coastal1

New User
Ben
As you can tell my workshop is full so i'm keeping this boat outside for the time being. This pic is of the planking just after filling the countersunk screw holes. This will be sanded and provide a nice contrast to the clear epoxy coating.

3.jpg

Glennbear

Glenn
Just out of curiosity Ben, are you using West System epoxy? I used it once on a project and was highly pleased. :wsmile:

Glennbear

Glenn
Not just you Alan, the pics did not show up in the thread but are visible in Ben's album. :wsmile:

coastal1

New User
Ben
Yes I have been using West System for 7 years and it has never let me down. West System is by far the most expensive epoxy out there but I stick with what I know works. I'm not sure whats going on with the pics...LOL. But maybe I'll get a chance to get the stem worked in and the transom started this coming week.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Ben the picture server you're using (sprintpcs??) isn't allowing hot linking of your pictures. If you still have them available on your hard-drive you should consider uploading them to your own album here on this site. That will make picture posting a whole lot easier.

Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS