My new/old unisaw runs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

joekwon80

New User
joe
I recently bought a unisaw on craigslist for an awesome deal and have been taking the past couple weeks reconditioning it and yesterday I finally got to plug it in and start it up.

Here's a video.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/embed/QBlErZOPxOo[/video]

I'm not sure if it sounds normal as I've never owned a big cabinet saw like this before. I also have no idea if it's running the way it's supposed to be running. Can you all tell by a video if it sounds ok? Also, there is "thud" noise when it's slowing down. You can hear it in the video.

Anyone near Durham who owns one and could come by and take a listen to it?

--Joe

Last edited:
T

toolferone

The main sound of course is the wind coming off the blade. That sounds right. The sound at the end could be the motor starter contacts reseting as it slows down. They are on a centrifuge type clutch where they cut out after the motor starts and spring back below a certain rpm. The saw looks it is shaking a bit. You mighty need to shim the base to stop it from rocking. You should be able to balance a nickel on it before starting and it should stay in place while running.

Of course the other big problem is your blade is not RED :gar-Bi!

joekwon80

New User
joe
I considered the red blade but got the WWII instead.

I thought it might be vibrating too much. I'm guessing that it's temporary position in the garage probably has some wood chips underneath it causing it to be wobbly at the base. When I get it moved into the basement which is currently full of stuff that needs to go on craigslist I will have it properly leveled. Thanks for taking a look toolferone! I'm glad you didn't come back with a comment like..."It's all gone to $hit you need a new motor"

Thanks!

--Joe

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
sounds just like an old uni to me.:icon_thum make a zero clearance plate for it and she will quiet right down.

Dutchman

New User
Buddy
If your going to title a thread my new/old unisaw,.......us old woodworking equipment people would like to have something more that a video of a blade running,.......we want pics of the saw! :)

joekwon80

New User
joe
Alright Dutchman here ya go.

Sorry I didn't know the rules of the forum :)

I just made the motor cover right before taking the photos. It's ain't pretty but it'll do. I used magnets to keep the motor cover close.

--Joe

Last edited:

Dutchman

New User
Buddy
Looks good Joe. There are some unisaw experts on the owwm (old wood working machinery site) if you have any questions we can't answer or want to see some other pics of saws like yours. They might can also help you find another cast iron wing if you are looking for one.

joekwon80

New User
joe
What kind of sealant should I use on the motor cover? I want to keep it looking natural so don't want to use a varnish. Will tung oil work? Or just some paste wax?

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
What kind of sealant should I use on the motor cover? I want to keep it looking natural so don't want to use a varnish. Will tung oil work? Or just some paste wax?

I would just apply a few coats of clear dewaxed shellac. That would be quick and easy.

Saw looks great BTW!

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors