My Kitchen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glennbear

Glenn
Fantastic work Mike !!! It is quite obvious that a lot of thought went into the design to suit the primary user :wsmile: A plethora of great ideas such as the deep appliance garage and doorless cabinet. The beadboard ceiling is something not seen often and works great with the cathederal height. :icon_thum Being pretty far on the north side of six feet myself I can relate to the problem of work surfaces set at "average" height. :gar-La;

Mike Callihan

New User
Mike
Thank you everyone for all the kind words. It is nice to be associate with a group of PPl that have some kind of idea what went into this project.

How did you finish the Cherry, it has such a nice finish to it??

Dave:)

Congratulations - what a great job!! Just curious, how long did it take you to complete the project? What finish did you use. I'm also doing a kitchen cabinet project.

The finish was a home brew of 2 parts satin Polyurethane, 1 part tung oil, and one part boiled linseed oil. Applied with a sponge roller and brush, let it set for 15 minutes or so and wipe off with a soft cotton rag. 5 coats were applied in all.

As far as how long it took me to build them. While I don't remember for sure I believe it was about a month. Remember I am retired and while building the kitchen I worked on it like it was an 10 hour a day job. All in all it took me the better part of 3 years to build the house. I finished the exterior, the lower level and the kitchen in about 2 years and we moved in while I worked on the rest of the main level. I didn't have far to go to get to work when I got up in the morning. LOL

Incredible workmanship Mike.
I suppose the drawers have dovetail joints?

Actually Gary they don't. For stability I chose to use 1/2" Baltic Birch for the drawer boxes. Rather than dovetailing plywood I used a locking rabbet joint. Plenty strong it just doesn't look as sexy.

Thanks again one and all.

russellellis

New User
Russell
wow. and i thought i had done a bangup job on my kitchen. that is amazing. i still have an island to build but its nowhere near that detailed. im jealous of your potfiller, we were going to put one it but when we ripped out the plaster, tada!!!! there as the back of the fireplace. so yeah, not enough room. so im going to add a copper bar sink to the island, so at least there is water within arms reach of the stove.
nice work there.

PeteQuad

New User
Peter
You are truly a talented craftsman Mike. The thoughtfulness of design is inspiring; I plan to redo my kitchen within the next 2-3 years, and I will try to remember to refer back to this post for ideas.

I haven't decided whether I will do it myself or hire it out. For you to be able to complete that in a month is amazing, I can't even figure how long it would take me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS