My first bowls (thanks woodArtz and Joe Bradshaw!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyekode

New User
Salem
Here are my first attempts (in chronological order):

Bob (woodArtz) got me hooked by showing me the basics of turning bowls. He also gave me a roughed out blank to play with. I finished the shape but have not finished sanding or applying a finish (have some tear out issues). But I like the shape:

69CG77872.JPG

View image in gallery

After I went to Bob's shop I just had to have my own bowl gouge :). When I finally put a handle on it I turned a small piece of cherry (still no finish, still some issues with tear out :():

Then a few weeks later I picked up some green hickory that a friend took down. That wood seriously stunk but cut very easily. And it was way darker in the heartwood than I expected (some of the logs that is). I took this one down to ~3/16th and it has warped to what I believe is a nice form as it dried. Same story: haven't finished sanding or applied a finish:

So, I seem to be stuck on sanding. I tried to sand at my lathe's slowest speed by hand but I can't seem to remove all of the end grain tear out. Can anyone recommend a power sanding setup?

Thanks!
Salem

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
Great looking bowls. The best defense against tear out is sharp tool and good clean cuts. I have seen your work you will get there, in short order. If you must power-sand I would start with the HF angle drill that can be had for $9.99 on sale, with a Skilton pad and an interface pad, your choice of quality sanding disc, preceded by sanding sealer. You may also consider a card scraper with the lathe OFF.

eyekode

New User
Salem
Thanks Gary. I had not even considered a card scraper. That sounds like a great idea. Once I regain some
strength in my hand I will give that a shot!

Since I have so little experience I am not sure I know what acceptable tear out is. I thought my gouge was sharp. If the gouge is sharp enough will the end grain be just as smooth as the long grain?

Thanks!
Salem

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
Sharp with nice controlled cuts, it is a learned art, one I have not mastered but I do better than before.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Great job Salem... you are hooked man! I love that hickory bowl. As for power sanding, I use a Milwaukee angle drill that can get into those tight spots. I hate sanding, but I find that I spend as much time sanding as I do turning. Even before you get to the sanding, try that shearing cut with a high angle on the wing of your bowl gouge. Also, make sure your turning toward the supported wood fibers. You'll get it... you are making some great progress! :icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

eyekode

New User
Salem
Thanks Bob. On the last bowl I did remember to use the shearing cut you showed me. I used it as the last cut on the outside. I am not sure how to duplicate it on the inside of the bowl. I am also not sure how much tear out to expect. If I am doing it right will the end grain be as smooth as the long grain?
Thanks!
Salem

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
Your lookin good there,and I can relate to all your little setbacks an I been tryin for four dang yrs,OH well,one day I may just figure it out. :gar-Cr but you keep a goin an you will do just fine,watch out for that woodartz fella,he ain't nothin but a rookie :gar-La;

Joe Bradshaw

New User
Joe
Salem,

Your bowls look really good. You have the hard part, getting a good shape, down pretty good. The rest comes with practice. We can work on sharping and tool control Wed. night if you want to.

Joe

woodturnerdon

New User
Don
That's a remarkable progression from the first to the last photo. You're doing VERY well. Keep up the good work! Tear out bothers everyone. Even the pros. It's just a matter of getting the least amount possible. There are many ways to reduce it, but super sharp tools and a light touch are a good place to start.
Don L.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS