My counter top dilema continues........any countertop experts out there

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebarr

New User
Wayne
So LOML ordered laminate countertops from the big box store.

Problem is.....they came with extra support on the bottom.

showphoto.php
[/URL][/IMG]

which will not sit down on my cabinets. Creating a huge problem. One of the counters is 12 feet long so removing the extra support might create a problem.

Here is what I want to try to do... The back splash has a small cavity that I though I would glue some additional MDF support in..

showphoto.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Then remove the additional support on the bottom of the countertops. I am adding a few more pics so you get an idea of what I am dealing with..

showphoto.php
[/URL][/IMG]

showphoto.php
[/URL][/IMG]

I have already done something similar to this on a bar top that I installed last night. But was wondering if anyone has any ideas???? I have 20 feet of countertop to get in before the boss grows inpatient about not having a kitchen sink.

ebarr

New User
Wayne
On the first picture you will see a pencil line....this is where the cabinet line is so the extra support would have to be removed to this line. I accomplished this last night with a circular saw set to the depth of 3/4 inch and then a lot of chisel and hammer time

FlyingRon

Ron
If I understand the problem, I'd just place it, trace around where the "doubling" needs to be removed and then flip it over and rout it out.

For future reference, I've built several countertops and did my own laminate work. I'm not the greatest cabinet maker in the world, but laminate is easy. I find the smoothest wood byproduct the borgs have (the last stuff I used was allegedly floor underlayment), cut it to fit and glue on the laminate. The laminate can be rough sized with your table saw (you may need to place something along the fence to keep it from sliding under because it is very thin). Then trim in place with a carbide router bit. This is one of themes I regretted buying the 3HP router but it works.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Since my wife and I are both tall I would have glued more reinforcement all around and let the counter be 3/4 inch higher.

But, the router sounds like the right solution.

ebarr

New User
Wayne
After two long days...all counter tops are installed and complete. Thanks to everyone for their help. Many lessons learned, that I hope will be long forgotten by the time I have to do this again. Wifey is happy....now on to the new flooring in the kitchen.

FYI, ended up taking out all the extra support for the counter tops, A LOT of cutting and some additional support, but got it all to fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS