Moving into the 21st century central heating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerome B

New User
Jerome
This is the second Saturday that we have spent putting in central heating. Boy is it tight under there. I better be careful when I go to the Pizzia Hut. If I gain too much weight I might get stuck next time I go under there.

So far we have put all of the boots in and put in about half of the flex pipe.

I must say that while I like older houses the 15" clearance under there leaves a lot to be desired.

I am also amazed by how the piers made out of stacked rocks have help up over the last 80 years.

heating1.jpg

Oh well back in to the hole I go. My sinuses are going to hate me for doing this.

Jerome

M

McRabbet

Hey, at least it is nice and dry! No fun, I'm sure, but looks like you've made great progress. While you are doing it, you might want to lay down some 6 mil polyethelene sheeting as a vapor barrier.

I'm going to insulate my crawl space area under my shop (below my unfinished basement that I use as my shop) this spring once it warms up a little -- my tightest area is about 4' of clearance and it goes from there to 9' of clearance. I have the insulation, but want to finish installing my ClearVue cyclone and 6" ductwork first.

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
but want to finish installing my ClearVue cyclone and 6" ductwork first.

SLUG....

Why don't you tell how long you've had that thing (the ClearVue).... I mean, I waited a long time before I put mine in, but sheesh, this is getting ridiculous. First it was the surgery, then... what? What's the delay?

ROB! ROB! Do it. Do it now! Take pictures. Document. Teach. Explain. But (Doggone-it) do it.

OKAY, you've got three weeks. Starting last week. No excuses after that except you're either lazy or incompetent.

(Did that look like a gauntlet thrown down? Well, if not, it was)

And OH what a beautiful day it was today. I rode the Harely, smoked a cigar, enjoyed a Black&Tan in the shop and didn't get yelled at (yet) by my lovely wife. Tomorrow should be equally as nice. More ElectraGlide time, I promise.

Jerome B

New User
Jerome
Hey, at least it is nice and dry! No fun, I'm sure, but looks like you've made great progress. While you are doing it, you might want to lay down some 6 mil polyethelene sheeting as a vapor barrier.

I'm going to insulate my crawl space area under my shop (below my unfinished basement that I use as my shop) this spring once it warms up a little -- my tightest area is about 4' of clearance and it goes from there to 9' of clearance. I have the insulation, but want to finish installing my ClearVue cyclone and 6" ductwork first.

It was a beautiful day out there.

How in the world are you going to insulate that space?

What is a cyclone. Pictures are definitely needed.

Jerome

Jerome

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I did that same thing 10 years ago but we got plenty room under our old house except for the SE corner then it gets tight. I used a roll of aluminum screen that was here when we moved in, cut it into strips and tacked the ends to the joists with roofing nails to keep the flex up against the joists.

I had to hard duct a few runs after my son left the crawl space door open and a raccoon got up under the house one night, The coon tore a few runs up, I guess trying to stay warm. If I had to do it all over again I would run hard duct.

I found a keg of gun powder under our house - hard telling how long it was there the place was built in 1899.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Crawl spaces are one of the least pleasurable places to work in construction. I remember crawling under an older home to install some carriage bolts for a deck addition. There was about 16" of clearance - and a drop sill under that - between me (6'-1" - 250 lbs.) and where I needed to be. When I managed to get under the drop sill I was shining my flashlight straight into a 'possum skeleton right next to my face. Better that than a LIVE one or a snake!
As for hanging your flex, the HVAC supply shops now sell a webbing that looks like lawn chair webbing designed to span over the wire coil and support the flex without cutting it. Look into that to support your flex. Glad to see you're getting the upgrade.:thumbs_up

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Be Careful!!!
I lost an uncle due to electrocution in our crawlspace when I was a kid. Lock out your breaker panel before you go under there!

M

McRabbet

How in the world are you going to insulate that space? Jerome, I have 800 square feet of 6" fiberglass (R-19) in rolls that will fit between the joists. Because the paper vapor barrier goes up toward the heated space, I'll be using metal rod insulation hangers that push up between the joints to hold the insulation in place.

What is a cyclone. Pictures are definitely needed.

A "cyclone" is a large dust collector. The one I am installing (eventually :embarrassed:) is made by ClearVue Cyclone, so named because it is made of a clear high impact plastic called PETG. It has a 5 HP blower that moves air at 1,400 CFM through 6" duct. Here's a picture from their website that shows the blower and motor that sits on top and a stack of 0.5 micron filters. It stands just over 8' high.
Max.jpg

Jerome
Jerome -- Hope this helps.

Why don't you tell how long you've had that thing (the ClearVue)..Purchased in October 2007.. I mean, I waited a long time before I put mine in, but sheesh, this is getting ridiculous. First it was the surgery, then... what? What's the delay? I'm a terrible procrastinator!

3 weeks? :swoon: Eeech! :help: That would be doing something, wouldn't it! :BangHead:.

If it's any consolation, I've had the insulation longer than the ClearVue! :rotflm:

Sealeveler

Tony
Corporate Member
Tough job there(I know).My father retired with 52 years heat & ac contractor and guess what I done alot.Would you be better off with metal ductwork.I have had to carry a foldup shovel or short handled hoe on many jobs and have crawled up on bad smelling,alive,bones,webs,antiques and other unidentified stuff:eek::eek::eek:.Tony

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
welcome to the 21st century!
I have an oil fired furnace (freestanding) that I hope to hook up in the shop when it gets warm enough again - (does that sound like an oxymoron???) I was going to use it this past year but with oil at $5+/- a gallon I didn't bother.
Good luck and congratulations on a great investment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS