Mounting Panel to Slanted Wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

ejensen

New User
Eric
Look I know this barely fits into the category of a woodworking question, but most woodworkers frequently need to think of creative solutions to mounting things, and so if anyone has any thought on this, I would appreciate it - if the moderator feels it doesn't belong, my apologies, please delete the post.

I want to mount a number of 2' x 4' panels to a sloped ceiling (this in a third floor room with sloped ceilings due to the attic). The panels are acoustic panels and have a 1 x 2 wood frame, and, here's the rub, are wrapped with an acoustic fabric, so you really can't do anything to the exterior of the panel without damaging the fabric. So you need to work from the inside of the panel - the inside of the panel has acoustic material (the fabric is used to cover the acoustic material) , but you dont need to worry about that - just assume you are trying to mount a 2' x 4' rectangle made by 1x2s, flush to a sloped ceiling, and need to work from the interior only. The edge that will touch the ceiling is also wrapped in fabric. I like the french cleat idea along the top edge of the panel, but then can't figure out how to affix the bottom edge to the ceiling. I've looked at varous clips, but nothing jumps out that is an elegant, relatively easy solution (we have to mount about 15 of these panels).

Any thoughts would be appreciated - thanks

Last edited:

SRhody

New User
Stacey
Two cents; and two thoughts popped into my head: magnets or spring clips. Magnets depending on weight or spring clips, about a thousand different kinds are out there. Also thought about how the panels of our car interiors are attached to the frame...panel clips? not sure, but might give you another approach.

Hope it helps or generates some creativity.:widea:

Glennbear

Glenn
The college athletic department I worked in had fabric covered acoustic panels in the weight room. The installers used "industrial strength" velcro strips to fasten them to the walls. :wsmile:

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I would try gluing the panels with either quick-grab carpet glue or rubber cove base adhesive. Assuming the panels are not too heavy, the adhesive should set enough to hold within 10 or 15 minutes. You could also try just shooting a 15 gauge trim nail right thru the fabric

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS