Mother's Day pens

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeH

New User
Mike
I turned 2 pens this week and I'll be giving my Grandmother the choice of either or both for Mother's Day. The one on the left is Bloodwood and the other is Cocobolo. The Cocobolo is slowly darkening. I am glad because when I turned it I REALLY didn't like the strong grain pattern. I think it will be beautiful once it darkens.

Bloodwood_and_Cocobolo.JPG

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Nice ones, Mike! I really like the Cocobolo the best, I like a strong grain pattern on a pen, especially when it accentuates the curvature.

Dave:)

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
HAve you considered getting rid of the CB thus loosing the corset waist look?
Also it appears there is a crack in the cocobolo rising from the DB.

MikeH

New User
Mike
HAve you considered getting rid of the CB thus loosing the corset waist look?
Also it appears there is a crack in the cocobolo rising from the DB.

I noticed the "crack" also and I'm not sure if it was a crack or I didn't clean the pen well enouch prior to finishing it. I'll just say that is part of the character. ;-)

As far as the CB is concerned I hadn't even considered that Eagle. That's a great idea. I'll try it one of the next ones I turn. I could also eliminate the center bushing and give the pen a continuous shape. I haven't turned enough pens to start thinking out of the box like that, but I will now. I'm also toying with the idea of making my own CB's.

By the way, my Grandmother chose the Cocobolo pen and my Aunt liked the Bloodwood so much I gave it to her. :) They were both well received.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS