Mortise attachments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Hello,

Does anyone have a Shop Fox W1668 drill press & if so do you have a Mortise attachment for it? I would like to get a mortise attachment for it. Someone has a Delta 17-924 which fits quills with 66mm, 50.8mm, 48mm, & 38mm. The Shop Fox quill is 39.75mm.

Someone on Sawmill creek said you can just take the next smallest size which would be the 38mm & sand the inside enough to make it fit, but if it's not going to fit I don't want to buy it and try something that just won't work.

Thanks for the Help~!

Matthew

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I had a drill press mortising attachment and although it did work, the number of turns of the drill press lever made it a PITA to use. Unless your funds are really limited, save yourself the aggravation and just buy a real benchtop Mortising machine. I particularly like the Powermatic unit which I acquired on CL and sold the Delta Mortising attachment for a bargain price.

The attachment will work, but will not be ideal unless you're doing only a limited number of mortises.

- Ken

tarheelz

Dave
Corporate Member
There was a recent Fine Woodworking review of bench top drill presses wherein the conclusion was that mortising attachments simply were not worth the trouble -- regardless of the model they reviewed.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Thanks Ken & Dave,

I won't actually be using it for Mortise's at least at first. I make Rifle Cheek Rest and I have been drilling a 7/32" hole and elongating it to allow the cheek rest to move up & down. I then use a hand file to make the hole to 1/4" wide & square....And it takes me forever to get each one just right, about 30 minutes each rest.

So I was thinking if I got a mortise attachment or Mortiser then I could just cut the 1/4" elongated hole much easier, but I don't know how the do in cutting Kydex (A type of plastic).

So what do you think?

Here's my video of the Cheek Rest: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zwng9AOpIYs

Matthew

I could be totally off base but I would think you could just take the mortise chisel and then hit with with a hammer .... yea maybe that a bad idea but it is my first thought... I and not sure a mortiser is going to solve your problem my thoughts is you need a 1/4" square punch die set

also I wonder about using the material to make a belt cell phone holster.. looks like the material could come in handy for lots of things

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Shopsmith had so many complaints about their drill press mortiser, they stopped selling them. But as already suggested this may be what you're looking for. From Rockler:

42241-01-200.jpg

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Thanks Tat & Joe,

But the hand punch would not be ideal as I need to make sure that on each side of the cheek rest that the holes line up perfectly once I heat it up and bend it. Plus I need to have it be quick so that is why I was thinking of a mortiser. I am able to drill through 4 layers of Kydex now, so if I can mortise through 4 layers that would be ideal. I don't think I could do that with a hand mortise punch.

Looks like I will need to buy the machine one...Or find someone that has one here in Utah that is close to me so I can try it out to see if it works like I am hoping.

Sincerely,

Matthew

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I used a Rockwell attachment to mortice 8 sockets on oak hubs for an antique reproduction wheel barrow.

8 sockets times 4 passes on the morticer times 200 hubs. Wasn't that bad.

Thanks Tat & Joe,

Or find someone that has one here in Utah that is close to me so I can try it out to see if it works like I am hoping.

Totally before you spend money on the Mortiser for that application it would be best to try to test it on someone else's machine to see if it will work for you

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
I would check to see what happens using a tool like this with Kydex. Kydex is a blend of Acrylic and PVC.
It has some of the best properties of both but I don't think I would use a cutting tool like one of those on either.
Maybe the blend would accept it, but I imagine you are looking for a fracture, especially if you attempt multiple sheets at one time.

My only experience with Kydex was using a router. Perhaps for slots like this a dremel with a router base ( is that what they're called? I've never used one) would be the ticket. You'd need a pretty fine cutter and then a file to clean up the corners.
Sounds labor intensive but good news, the Kydex will file easily.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
For cutting Kydex I'd be tempted to make a hollow punch die the size of the desired slot and use an arbor press to punch the hole. A little heat on the die and it should cut like butter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS