Modern Book Case =follow up to original post

Status
Not open for further replies.

thsb

New User
Tim
a while ago i posted to get advice about a modern looking book case that had metal supports. I decided that it was too complicated and instead decided on something that was all wood and didn't have the supports taking up space in the storage area.

so, went to google images and liked this look: http://www.northeastfactorydirect.com/Item.aspx?ItemID=-1466809951&ItemNum=800307

I did all the glue ups using dominoes, using cherry for the bigger pieces and maple for the smaller connective layers. There was not enough contrast between the two woods so i decided to use walnut for the smaller pieces.

2014-07-14 22.33.37.jpg
This is a picture of the pieces, unfinished, balancing on one another-i was happy it would stay together without tipping over. The next step was gluing the 6 pieces together. i could use some feedback on the best process to glue the different pieces together, as i ended up having to clean up glue in tight spaces and it wasn't ideal. maybe i should have used the smallest setting on cutting the dominos and not used much if any glue but was worried that i needed a little margin for error.

i hurried and put a domino through one of the boards so had to change the orientation so it would be hidden. that was a bummer because i had spent a lot of time determining what boards i wanted to highlight and now i had to choose between showing the most figure or hiding the mistake. because i think i appreciate the figure but many others probably would notice the mistake more than the figure, i hid the mistake (also saved me a constant reminder of the mistake).

my other error was using the ROS to try to clean up the glue, because of my impatience. that led to not perfect joints but you have to be looking for it to see it.

in general am very happy but realized that the modern clean look is not the easiest to do because there is nowhere to hid the mistakes.

finished it with 5-6 coats of waterlox

2014-08-17 09.21.56.jpg
2014-08-17 09.22.05.jpg2014-08-17 09.24.21.jpg

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
That is beautiful Tim - really showcases your work and I think it is better than the original design (just personal preference!)

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
That is a nice looking piece of work. If you are having problems with cleaning glue squeezeout use tape on the problem surfaces.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I find it best to remove squeeze-out about 20 minutes or so after glue-up (when it turns plastic, but not rock hard.) If you can't get to it then because of clamps or other obstacles, then I find a card scraper is the best tool to remove it once hardened.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I find it best to remove squeeze-out about 20 minutes or so after glue-up (when it turns plastic, but not rock hard.) If you can't get to it then because of clamps or other obstacles, then I find a card scraper is the best tool to remove it once hardened.

+101

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Nicely done. I like your improved design choice over the original one with the metal posts.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Interesting, the space between the shelf "units". Perhaps used for those books too large to fit in the racks, or so one can lay down a "read-in-progress"?

thsb

New User
Tim
Tom, good question about the space between the shelf units. aside from dust collection, we will have to see what other uses come from them. I think the intent of the original design was just to break up space.

Ordered the card scrapers from Amazon today, along with a burnisher (which i have no idea how to use but will look at videos).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS